Monday, January 5, 2009

Went to the snow



At the last minute Spouse and I decided to take our family to the snow. Having spent my childhood years in snow-less country, I can relate to my desert children's uninformed excitement over the mysterious white stuff. So we braved storms, and snowdrifts and drove all day finally reaching the icy driveway of my in-laws. The next morning was busy getting ourselves ready for 9:00 am church. Somewhere in the shuffle #2 went missing but was soon found shivering and panicing and covered in a white layer of snow. No one had told him that snow was cold! Just like in the movies he'd been watching, he bounced outside in just his church clothes, dove into the snow and rolled around only to discover that wet and cold isn't very comfortable.

Later that day we surprised my parents by showing up at their doorstep. We hadn't told them we were coming. Fortunately, they were happy to see us. My mom cried! She said the only other time she's been so surprised was when we announced we were pregnant with #1.

It was a wonderful week full of family, cousins, late nights, the in-laws cabin, yummy food and of course, SNOW!



#2 working on his snow angel


my snow angel #3


Spouse helped the kids build a snowman. It's not finished in this picture. They made Shi-fu (?) from Kung Fu Panda (which they watched 3 times on the drive) complete with mouse ears and droopy whiskers.



#3 and her beebees. She was thrilled this one actually moved and cried!


#1, #2 and cousins "helping" Nana with the cookies.


Our wintery view at the cabin.


Spouse trying to re-live his pool hall days in the brother's tournament.


The Elfmobile. This is what brought us (and all of our stuff) up and down the mountain.

9 comments:

Jami said...

I love the very first picture of #1. Total and complete snow BLISS!! What a fun suprise for your families.

So where are you now??? Are you back in AZ?

JLJ said...

Yes. Back at home sweet home now. #1 went back to school today..... an hour late because we all slept in!

MegaPPod said...

I should have thought to at least drop by your door. We were in the hood last week as well. Looks like you had a great time.

Some Kind of Crazy said...

That is so funny about #2 not knowing it was cold!

Surprises like that are great. Once we decided last minute to drive from UT down to AZ for Thanksgiving. We thought it best to tell one of Spouse's sisters just in case something happened. By the time we got there everyone in his family knew and had been waiting--I was so steamed! My family however were completely surprised and it was so fun to see their reactions!

That snowman is huge! I'm glad you're back in the safe snow-less country. What the heck is an elfmobile?

birdie said...

So fun. I'm jealous you all got to spend time in the snow - it was my first snow-less Christmas here in AZ.

Where can I get myself an Elfmobile?

Peterson Family said...

HOW FUN!! I am in love with that view from the Cabin, how gorgeous! The Elfmobile is a little too 'The Shining' for me though... hehe... j/k I think that would be a fun ride too! I am glad that you were able to escape to the snow, and what a cool surprise to your family! :)

Loved the Christmas post too... your kids are darling and growing MUCH too quickly, I still need to meet #3! We should meet somewhere in the middle...

The Clawsons said...

hello! i'm totally spying on you! i came across your blog from jill's. so fun to see pics of your assorted numbers and the old crew. miss you guys!

Katie said...

Looks like fun. Glad your kids could experience snow!

Cara and Terry said...

That is so funny. We were driving home from shopping a few days before New Years and had this wild idea that we would just ramdomly drive up to Utah to see the snow and hang out on a whim. last minute we decided it wouldn't be the best option for us, but how funny that we had similar ideas!! I bet your parents were so surprised. How neat!!