Friday, March 11, 2011

Beware the Ides of March; or in this case, Celebrate!

Something spooky is going on around here. I suspect the handiwork of a leprechaun or the ominous closeness of the Ides of March.

#3 is not a Mama's girl. She loves playing with friends and her siblings. But when she is without company she has always seemed to have zero desire to entertain herself. She becomes stuck to me like white on rice. If I'm cooking, she is sitting on the counter with me. If I'm reading, she's in my lap. If I'm on the computer she is trying to hold my hand. If she's playing Barbies, she does it sitting in my lap. When she wants to color, she wants my hand on the top of her crayon holding hand.

It is very sweet. But also can be annoying. It's a good thing she's my daughter and I love her. And it certainly helps that she's adorable.

But I'm not used to this sort of dependence. #1 and #2 are and have always been excellent independent players. I've been frustrated trying to foster independent play in #3.

Before the earthquake hit Japan (poor Japan :( ) the seizmic shifts rocked our little domestic boat. Something new and strange: #3 played independently, without guidance, without suggestion, without me all day! From time to time she asked for a drink or for help getting something down but then she'd shoo me from her room. All day.

It was a wonderful, happy day. For everyone. Thank you Leprechauns. Thank you Julius Caesar for being murdered on the Ides of March, allowing the day to be forever haunted and make strange things happen in my house.







ps Despite my flippant reference to the tragedy in Japan I am truly despairing for the loss and havoc the Japanese are experiencing.



1 comment:

Jami said...

Ha ha. This is funny because I just posted how INdependent my #3 is. Gotta love em!