Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tidings of Great Joy

Every year at Christmas I worry that my children will hear the racket of the world screaming of consumerism more than they'll hear the subtle stirrings of the spirit. I worry that they won't get it, what Christmas is really about.

But I have some reasons to hope:

1) In her yearly attempt to make sense of Santa #1 deduced, "There really is only one person who loves everyone in the world and who is really watching what we are all saying and doing. There is only one person who wants to give everyone a gift. Heavenly Father must be Santa!"

2) After I became impatient and expressed a few graceless and less than loving expressions, #2 approached me, and without a trace of self-righteousness, sincerely pleaded with me, "But mom, now is the time for good cheer and happiness and love!"

3) #3 asks to read "The Nativity Story" almost every night and is often re-enacting the narrative with toys or drawings she's made. Yesterday I asked her to do it one more time so I could capture it as she tells the story in her own words.




Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Love it!!!! I just did our program last Monday and it was the BEST!! I love Joy School:-) I bet there are lots of women out there who do Joy School;-)

mandy said...

great work capturing this... and what a fabulous halelujah chorus!

Evelyn said...

Love it! Than commented, "wow, she speaks so well now!" I guess it's been too long since we've seen you. Loved the Angels chorus. So cute.

BigEd said...

Impressive! On all counts. It makes me happy that #1 has the Santa/Heavenly Father thing worked out. Maybe someday my kids will make it that far. Hope you all had a very merry christmas!

moomycoz said...

That is one of the most precious things I have ever seen. I'm so glad you have this blog to preserve these things. Those little stories about #1 and #2 are things you will never want to forget. And neither will I.