Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Highlights from Women's Conference

Here are the top ten highlights from BYU Women's Conference

10. Leaving my 3 little ones in the hands of a loving husband who took two days off work so I could get the heck outta there.

9. "Walk away from the world." -Sheri Dew

8. Getting to drive my sometimes bossy grandmother a little crazy with my apparently wild driving. {I love you Grandma B}

7. "Choose joy; choose peace" - in a talk to young mothers

6. Boarding a plane with just my little bag and a book. No strollers, no diaper bags, no kids.

5. Getting to relive my BYU days by rushing to classes and buying brownies at the Cougar Eat. There were moments when I felt 20 again.

4. Seeing that Deseret Towers (my old dorm) is no more than a pile of rubble. Unfortunately, the Morris Center is still standing strong. I hated the Morris Center.

3. Talking to my sisters until late at night, and then getting to sleep the WHOLE NIGHT without babies crying or wet beds.

2. "The load, or weight, or burden of my neighbor's glory should be laid on my back, a load so heavy that only humility can carry it, and the backs of the proud will be broken." C.S. Lewis The Weight of Glory {Used in a talk entitled "Ministering to the One}

1. This accordion player at Ottavio's came to our table to serenade and in the middle of "All I Ask of You" he suddenly cued my sister-in-law to come in at Christine's part. Without missing a beat she confidently belted out her part...."then say you'll share with me...." That unassuming accordion player, who thought he was being cheeky, had picked the wrong girl to embarrass. She is a bona fide opera singer. He was very surprised. And then he played while she sang O Mio Bambino Caro.

9 comments:

MJ said...

I knew I could sense your presence close.

#3 is getting so old. One day I'm going to look at your blog and she'll be 16.

daisy said...

Sounded great. It's nice to get a break from the kids and it sounds like this was the perfect weekend for that.

MegaPPod said...

Sounds fun. I really like the "choose joy, choose peace" idea. Glad you got some well deserved R&R.

Peterson Family said...

What fun, I am totally jealous! :)

Jami said...

WAIT! There has got to be more pictures than that! I was excited to see all your sisters. What's up with that? Anyway, isn't it amazing how rejuvinating a little getaway can be? I'm so happy you got to go.

birdie said...

I love Women's Conference. It always gives me an emotional boost and a booty boost (those brownies are awesome at the Cougar Eat!)

Katie said...

I'm glad you had a little kid-less retreat. Sounds like tons of fun - how great to be with your sisters!

DKAZ said...

OK, I've read this already, I've seen you since this post and I'm supposed to be working...and so what am I doing? Leaving a comment on an old post. Good one!
Well, hope we have some good news this week!!!

Anonymous said...

At least you can't see me shaking like a leaf in a picture! It was fun!