Saturday, May 24, 2008

Leave Your Pride at the Door

Today I left my pride at Victoria's Secret.  A large chunk of it sank when after "fitting me," a young, buxom 19 year- old flatly informed that my chest is now a size smaller.  I know she doesn't know anything about having babies, putting on 50+ pound, loosing 50+ pounds (three times!) and what that does to a woman's body (and mind).  I'm sure she had no idea how just hearing the letter B deflated not just my ego, but part of the definition of the way I see myself.  Why can't V.S. hire mom-types to roam the store measuring people and making suggestions? I imagine instead of the dead look of apathy, this mom-type would break it to me gently with real compassion, "Oh honey, I hate to tell you this, I know what you've been through.  But you are now a B cup.  I know how disappointed you must feel, but don't you worry, you're still a woman."  Strike one.

In an attempt to preserve my self-respect (and also because I blindly wanted to believe it wasn't true) I took both sizes with me to the dressing room.  The line to get to the dressing room was 40 minutes long.  But for me the possibility of proving that young thing wrong made it worth the wait. When I finally got to the front of the line and a door opened up, I started to move to the empty dressing room but was stopped by another young woman, dressed in a tight revealing top.  "What's your bra size," she loudly asks.  Remember that I had just waited for 40 minutes, so you can imagine the large crowd of women within immediate hearing distance.  "What's your size?"Again, louder.  I felt like a squirrel caught in the headlights.  Why in the world would I announce to all of Victoria's Secret my freshest disappointment? I cut around her and slammed the door shut, sweating with humiliation.  Strike two.

Inside the dressing room, my worst fears were confirmed. Indeed, I am now a B.  Strike three.

Completely deflated, I waited in yet another line to pay.  As I waited I looked around watching people, noticing the variety of women in the store.  It seemed that every woman made me feel worse and worse about myself.  And then I saw something strange and most unlikely. A black cap pinned on the back of a braided head.  This head belonged to a mennonite woman in a simple, long dress. She wasn't wearing any make-up and had probably driven to the mall in a horse and buggy.  She wasn't alone. There were four of these women browsing the braziers in Victoria's Secret.  I realized how foolish I had been feeling.  If these women could walk into a place where they completely didn't fit in and confidently buy themselves the bras they needed, then gosh-darn it, so could I!  

Yes. It's true that most of my pride is still on the floor of V.S. But in the end I came out ahead. Lo and behold, my bra rang up for $15 less than I expected.  And I learned an important lesson:  a woman's a woman no matter how small.

12 comments:

Cygnus said...

See, that's where our paths diverge: If I drop a bra size, I'm jumping for joy and relief that some of these push-ups are doing their job.

Fear not, cuz . . . your man will love you always. :)

MJ said...

"A woman's a woman no matter how small."

AMEN!!!

Some day you can get those boobs you want.

daisy said...

I've had that feeling there as well....I went to the one in Vegas. Let's just say I felt very very conservative. Needing to explain why I would choose a white bra if I would be using it with white t-shirts and such. (I guess you should choose a nude colored bra for that).---I had to explain that I would always be wearing a white undershirt under my shirt. I know...sad...when most of the women walking around in the store were wearing their bras as shirts.

Oh and size B. Only in my dreams.

Jami said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of B!

Now I'm just waiting for this post to show up at the top of Victoria Secret Google searches where you will recieve 4 free bra's from VS for their lack of repsect to the size B's and then a plethora of compassionate condolences from fifteen strangers who all feel your pain. : )

Katie said...

You should feel quite lucky in your B cup status. Oh, if only. . .

I feel that way every time I enter those doors. I always pep myself up, the whole walk there. . .walk in confidently and then instantly feel like I should turn around and walk right back out when those lovely bra ladies take a look at me!

Oh, but there's nothing quite like those fabulous water bras to keep me going back for more!

Jacqui said...

What a crack-up. You look great, by the way. You're so thin! That probably has a lot to do with your cup-size too, eh? I can't wait for my fatness to go down to see what remains of my chest. I fear it won't be a pretty sight. Think FOUR times of gaining baby weight, nursing all four for nearly a year...and I get HUUUUGE in the chesty (like C to E...who knew there was even an E cup?). I am so tempted to keep on 15 lbs. just so I have some boobs!

Peterson Family said...

I hate to tell you that my boobs actually grew a size... but then again I have about 15 lbs. to loose yet (yeah, it's been 4 years) so who knows if they'll stick around or get smaller. But a bigger size does NOT mean perky by any means...

Like MJ said... you can always get them later!! :)

Cara and Terry said...

On my best engorged nursing day, I'm a "b". Good to know I'm still a woman at least. Looking forward to being a -AA when Ben is done with me, as I seem to get smaller and smaller with each pregnancy
:-( No fair, as my #3 would say. Looking forward to their new "biofit" doing wonders for me...hehe!

Audrey said...

I personally love my B size. It's enough to be there for some extra bump to have under my shirt, but it's not so big that I ever need to exercise bras for any work out. Yes, my better endowed friends may have more in that area, but never once have I had to say, "Oh, I love that shirt, but I couldn't get it to fit over my chest."

Ali said...

Yeah, I am feeling it, too. I desperately need a new bra but have totally put it off because I don't want to face reality. You really do look fantastic. What did you do? I need some motivation to lose weight, even if it means losing the boobs (if that's even possible... they are already lost!).

ks said...

Sadly, I have a hard time sympathizing with all of you. I would pay any hugely gross amount of money to take away my double d boobs and be a "b". Or an "a" for that matter. No words can explain how impossible it is to find dresses, blouses, t-shirts, bras, sports bras (the list goes on) that fit properly when your chest is big. If you wear a baggy shirt, you look pregnant or just plain fat. If you wear a tight shirt, you're looked at as if you're in some trampy outfit (especially at church). A woman with small boobs can get away with SOOOOOOO much more in the clothing department.

I have always (and will always) curse my bigness until the day comes that I can pay someone to take them away from me for good!!

And I too, have left my pride on the floor of Vicky's. But it was after I was measured and told that the bra size I need will:
a. cost $15-30 more than the others
b. look like a corset built in the late 1800's
c. not be kept in stock. They'll have to order it in for me. And charge me shipping for it.

:)

Emily said...

Jen-
Hi, It's your cousin Emily. I linked to your blog from Ali's... I laugh at this post because I've been back & forth from an B to almost DD without having any kids, that's a problem! Sad. Feel free to link over to my blog sometime-- Emilykit.blogspot :)