Sunday, February 1, 2009

An all boys party



Several months ago Spouse informed me that #2's 4th birthday party was going to be with all boys. Spouse made baseball card invitations with #2's face superimposed over Kurt Wariner's body. He painted lines on our grass and set up a football goal standard. There was going to be nothing girly about this party.

And so 8 little boys came to our house yesterday to play soccer, baseball, football; break open a baseball pinata; and wrestle each other WWF style in our bounce house. I naively had planned fun little games involving the sports equipment. But 4 year old boys have no attention span, and resist being directed when they're interested in other things. After a while I just gave up and let them play. If I hadn't already been convinced, yesterday proved again how different girls and boys are.

For example, at a little girl's party the girls socialize and pretty much stick together as a group. They say please and thank you. They like organized games and can sit still for a number of minutes. However, little girls are fixated on order and fairness and who gets to sit where and by whom. And ultimately, someone's feelings get hurt and there are tears.

Compare that to a little boys party where the boys are happy to play by themselves and aren't very interested in what the others are doing. When there is a disagreement, the stronger one just rips whatever he wants from the little one and it's over. They aren't interested in rules and winning games. They just want to do what they want to do. Cleaniless and good manners are just things someone tells them to do and which they usually ignore.

You mothers of all girls may be smugly relieved you don't have to deal with the unknown - the masculine side of life - things like your almost four year old son exiting the bathroom in just his briefs with half of his privates squished out of one side saying "hey mom, look at this!" But little do you know how much you are missing of a boy's uncomplicated affection and easiness to please.

I think we could have thrown rocks at a wall for an hour and #2 would have been equally pleased with his party - providing there was cake and balloons of course. Next year I'll be wiser. Happy Birthday #2!




10 comments:

daisy said...

A boy would be a welcome addition in our home. This morning, I had 3 of my 4 girls crying within a few minutes of each other....oh the drama. Four females in a row...it's like having them all at once. Yep, I have quadruplets (ages 2,5,7,9).

A boys party looks like a great time!

birdie said...

Happy Bday #4!! Looks like so much fun. Having grown up with all boys, I have to say they are indeed a boatload of fun and easy to please.

Should be an interesting comparison between E and newest baby boy (yet to arrive - hmmm....)

Jami said...

Um...I'm so confused. Who is #4? Are we still talking about the spouse or is this an announcement?

JLJ said...

Thank you Jami for helping me proofread! Sorry for the confusion. There is no #4, I am not referring to Spouse. It was supposed to say #2 but with all the talk of the 4th birthday I think I got myself confused. Correction has been made. Thanks!

Cara and Terry said...

As a mother of 4 BOYS, oh, how I understand the truthfullness of this post. I will never know what is like to have anyone sit still for any period of time, listen to directions or politely make requests. Happy Birthday #4!!!

DKAZ said...

Your yard looks awesome! That sounds like a lot of fun and so much different than the dancing ballerinas! Glad it turned out well.

Katie said...

OH THE WARMTH! I'm so jealous of your all boy party on that green grass! What a cute little birthday boy!

Peterson Family said...

That is SOOOO cute! I love that SPOUSE was in charge of everything, and choose the theme too! BUT he's going to kill you when he finds out that you spelled Kurt's name wrong... it's just 'Warner'. :) Good thing he was in charge of the football! haha (I am totally joking!) :)

You rock... and I agree having boys is awesome!! I would love to do some frilly stuff however... maybe one day! We could use some piggy tails, pink, and my personal fave Barbie!!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day #2! AJ misses you.

MegaPPod said...

Oh how right you are. I'm not sure I'll know what to do with a girl, but I'm sure I will figure it out. I hope to have some grass like yours soon. Looks like a perfect party. Good work spouse (although I'm sure you still did most of the work ; )