Friday, July 24, 2009

"Lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

...those days of hot dogs and pretzels and beer."

Well, no beer here. But lots of Diet Coke. While I was AWOL in Utah for a month Spouse managed to entirely deplete my years supply of soda. It was A LOT of soda. Unfortunately not one can was deposited into my savings account, also known as my aluminum can recycling box. So the earth is about 10 lbs heavier and my wallet is $5.75 poorer. Resupplying the availability of diet coke to our household was a top priority last week. But sadly, my beloved beverage cans are currently overpriced so I was reduced to purchasing 2 liter bottles which did happen to be on a great sale. I hate 2 liter bottles for many reasons.

1) From the moment they are opened the carbonation begins to melt. So unless the entire bottle is consumed within 12 hours, the last few servings are not worth consuming.

2)Portion control is very difficult with 2 liters bottles. If I'm not careful I could drink an entire bottle in one day, which does solve problem #1 but is not good for my usual strict control over intake.

3) I don't get paid to recycle the bottles.

4) 2 liter bottles are not portable, which tempts me to go to Sonic for their $0.99 summer special and it is already hard enough to deny myself the luxury of having my brown bubbly over their spectacular crushed ice.

---------------

While in UT my mother in law introduced me to the devilish addiction of Sudoku. Spouse and I have shared many childish laughs over the mispronunciation and misuse of the word 'sudoku'. Take, for instance, the French sounding mispronunciation, (said with a frenchy frown and half snarl on your lips; hands imitating french gestures), "Eaugh! Sa-duh-kew." Or the Asain interpretation in which you simulate a karate kid posture, squint your eyes and as you come down with the chop, explicate, "Ahhh! SahoDahoKu!"

However you say it, it means the same thing: wicked temptress of time. After I've solved a few puzzles and I force myself to put down the ipod, I usually lay in bed still hyped up on numbers and counting. I know it's bad because when my mind wanders during family prayer it usually ends up imagining possible solutions and going over previous mistakes.


So, yes. I'm enjoying my lazy, mind-mellowing days of summer. Thank you for asking.


ps the first commenter that can name the source of my title wins something. a gold star. no, something bigger. a song dedication on the radio. do they still do that? or how about something meaningful like positive energy sent your way.

8 comments:

lisa said...

It's a Nat King Cole song! I would like some positive energy sent my way immediately!

Also, I agree on the 2 liter bottles. They are to be used only during hard times.

And take it from me, don't ever bring Sudoku to church because you will never be able to make it through Sacrament meeting again without it.

Jacqui said...

Those 2 liter bottles are $.79 at Target right now, making the budget-conscious among us grudgingly acknowledge it's the best deal out there for soda...even if the last 16 oz. goes flat, and even if it's not served over scrumptious ice.

I love that hubs didn't recycle one can. That is hilarious. He sounds like Jeff. If there is soda in the house, he constantly has a can in hand.

You make me laugh. I love your blog. And I loved your comment on mine! It's going to take some serious loudmouths to bring about any change for good in this country.

Jami said...

To my fellow diet coke addict...

While I sit reading your post I am sipping on my two liter (69 cent sale) diet coke, laughing and agreeing 100% (My bottle is nearing the 12 hour mark). However, I did buy fresh limes that seem to prolong the life a little.

Across from the table sits my $20 gift card to SONIC that my sister gave me yesterday after watching her children all day. Just think of the diet cokes to come!!!!

And finally, once you have mastered the personal Suduko you can add a twist. Troy and i love to photo copy them and then have races to see who can finish it quicker. We used to do timed competitions on two seperate puzzles but I would always kick his butt and he claimed I got an "easier" one. Thus the reason for the photocopy.

Enjoy your Suduko and Diet Coke. I know I will. :)

MJ said...

I have some good news. You can buy sonic ice and it's cheap. So that just increased the value of the liter bottle.

My family does Sudoku challenges. I win every time. Consider yourself challenged to a match next time we are there- another game Matt can witness my genius in. Or you could just join facebook and we could play on that. I know you are tempted now. :)

birdie said...

ha! i hate 2 liter bottles too for the exact same reasons - plus i love the crushed ice and environmentally unfriendly cups at Sonic (they make the best lime dc's)

never done the sudoko thing - must try it however i don't need another addiction that i have to break - dc is already vice enough for me.

Audrey said...

Yes, two liter bottles are from the devil. Okay, maybe not that bad, but close. I hate the carbonation loss more than anything else because soda without carbonation is really gross. Those bottles are really only designed for picnics with large groups if you ask me.
I've never done the Sudoku thing, but I'm purposely avoiding it based on the principle that I get number combinations going in my head and then I get a bit obsessive about the whole thing. Sounds like we share a similar problem.

Peterson Family said...

I love your diet coke addiction! It always made me laugh, when you talked about your with drawls when you were pregnant with #2! You are hilarious! I have to be careful with a soda... I could consume it day and night if I don't show some self restraint. The best solution I have found is... chocolate. :)

Iva said...

Diet Coke in 2L bottles were the best for my old addiction (2L for 10 hours, no worries for going flat) but all that is in the past. Now I have my supply of cans and I drink just one or two in a day.

I love your posts and we miss you all!