Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To sleep, perchance to dream

A few weeks ago I came across an article that impressed me so much that it has stayed on my mind. And, you know, this blog and you readers are the receptacle whenever my mind starts to move meaningfully. Here is the article. Go read it and come back to finish my post.

Ok. Fine. You can keep reading even if you didn't read it right now.

This article, written by a dream expert, is about the importance of dreams. Not just the healthfulness of sleep and dreaming, but the spiritual importance of dreams. Dreams with a capital "D" - ones that come from God. This paragraph is what hooked my interest:

"It can be difficult to know which dreams to ignore and which to pay heed to, but our current standard for dismissing most or all dreams cannot be what God intended when He built the dream mechanism into our very biology. Dreams have become a kind of “dead letter office”: a lot of attempted deliveries, but few messages received. If dreams are one method of receiving divine revelation, they are underutilized."

The hair on my arms stood up when I read this. Think of the possibilities this suggests!

I have always been fascinated by the untapped human potential. I love hearing stories of people who suddenly, in a crisis, have superhuman strength. I feel empowered knowing that millions of Jews did not die in concentration camps despite the horrible, animal conditions they lived in. I am amazed by survival stories, and stories where humans seem to do the impossible. Somehow I feel my strength and worth more knowing that other mortals did these things.

I had these same feelings when I read this article. I have never taken my dreams seriously and had always assumed that only a prophet or someone with real significance could have a revelatory dream. But this article suggests that dreams are a gift, available to all, that can connect us directly with God. Like all spiritual gifts, it requires refinement and practice and a living a life worthy for the spirit's companionship.

The author suggests writing dreams down, including names, places and other details; over the weeks and years pay attention to patterns; pray about the interpretation of dreams; talk to the people involved in your dreams.

The article is full of personal experiences that people have shared with the author over the years of her research. Some of the stories are very simple but some are amazing. Like this one:

"Sometimes people receive dreams for the specific purpose of helping others. Several years ago my former college roommate, a nurse by profession, had a visitation dream of a labor and delivery doctor who had died suddenly of lymphoma in his early fifties. They had worked together professionally and he was her favorite doctor to assist. In her dream Cyndi sees him standing by the elevator in his running shorts and says, “What are you doing here?” She thinks but does not say, “You’re dead.” He said to her, “I need a wedding, a phone call and a delivery.” Cyndi recalled feeling overjoyed to see him, and happy when she awoke, but puzzled. The metaphorical message of the dream confused her, yet it was vivid enough she could not dismiss it. She called me to help her make sense of the dream, and I said, “Sometimes when dead people come to visit in dreams, they need something from you.” Although the dream provided no clear instructions, Cyndi took an empty notebook around to all the people on the labor and delivery unit and said, “I’ll take care of your patients while you write something about Dr. Skidmore.” When the book was full of warm, personal, funny love letters about a beloved doctor and friend, Cyndi called and arranged to leave it in the Skidmore mailbox. A few days later, Mrs. Skidmore called Cyndi and said, “I wanted to hear about my husband’s work life, but he never talked about it. I thought when the children were grown I would have the chance to hear that important piece, and then he died so suddenly that I didn’t get to know him as a doctor. I felt that loss deeply. It helped me to hear from other people who loved him and missed him. You have given me the one thing I thought I could never have.”

I have no expectations of having significant dreams like this one. But since reading this article and subsequently paying more attention to my dreams I have thought back to several dreams I've had in my life and reevaluated their meanings.

Growing up sharing a bed with my older sister we were in a habit of sharing our dreams with each other. We found it uncanny that we both often dreamed of our younger brother Brother Brig in situations where he was fighting and defending a sibling or our family. Years later, in a conversation with my mother, I discovered that she had been having similar dreams. Frequent readers of this blog know that Brother Brig ended up in the special forces of the army, and fighting in Afghanistan.

If I hadn't been thinking about dreams lately, I probably would not have paid attention a dream I had yesterday while, ahem, napping, that helped me be sensitive to Spouse when he came home from work after, what I found out later was, an especially horrible day. If I hadn't heeded that dream I probably would have complained about him coming home so late, got after him about his sneaky itunes purchase, insisted that he help me with the dishes, pestered him about putting his clothes away and begged him for a back massage. Any one of those things could have sparked bad feelings, possibly a disagreement and for sure would have prevented my feelings of compassion and sympathy for the rotten-ness he experienced at work.


Feed my fascination. Have you ever had a prophetic dream? A dream that changed your course of action? A dream that you have never forgotten? Have you ever lifted a car with one arm with adrenaline pulsing through your veins? (or something like that)

10 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

I don't know how to really put into words how I feel...I'll try though. I am and always have been a firm believer in my dreams and how they have been instrumental in helping me and guiding me. I still recall several dreams that I had as a child that my twin sister had also. We never spoke of them until we were older and thought it to be odd that the details were EXACTLY the same. Or once when my mom had asked me (when I was a teenager) to fast with her about a sibling who was struggling with addiction, and had a dream that night and felt inspired to tell my mom what we as a family could do to help her. I could go on and on about this....I LOVED the article and helped me not feel so weird about my dreams:-) Thanks for sharing!

Jami said...

Love the post. Very thought provoking. I think I am going to go to sleep tonight trying to recall every dream I have ever had and wondering what it might mean.

Unknown said...

All I know is that I have had many moments in life when something incredibly mundane was happening, and I have suddenly had a distinct impression that I had dreamed of that moment before...even though I didn't really remember actually having the dream. I have often wondered if some dreams are a remembrance of the little glimpses that we had into our lives before coming to the earth. Sure makes you wonder...

Audrey said...

I have dreams of rather ordinary events that happen a bit later. This has been happening to me more and more lately. I've heard that they say the feeling of deja vu is technically a gland in your body releasing an extra about of some chemical. That's been a long time ago I heard that, so that's why I can't be more specific.
However, when I was busy doing family history work for a certain line--I hit a major block. I just couldn't get anything. However, I kept being woken up almost every night thinking of the man whose line I was trying to solve. I went back through the information that I had already looked at and ended up finding a person who possessed a photo album full of photos of this deceased person's children. Once I got that album and did the work for those people, the dream stopped. It wasn't my direct line, but I felt so strongly that those people wanted their work done. I think that all of that work I did for all of those other lines actually helped me with my dad's adoption search. I think those people on the other side were interested in helping me because I'm interested in helping them. (Sorry this is so long!) Dreams have always fascinated me too.

Ali said...

My dad and little sis had a dream about Grandma. It is pretty amazing... the exact same scene, she was wearing the exact thing and was the same age, etc. Pretty awesome. You should ask him sometime. Or her, it was Michelle.

Jacqui said...

I, too, have had deja vu at times that don't make sense at all. Being in a certain place, saying something specific to a person, etc. The saying something specific especially stands out--like I've thought it before, like I can see the words coming out of my mouth before they actually do. I wonder if those times are my dreams resonating.

We are so not tuned in to nature and spirituality, are we? (Maybe I should speak for myself on this one...) There are so many distractions that time for pondering, tuning in to nature, our bodies, our minds and our spirits is so limited. It's sad, really. I think we become somewhat numb to those things unless we "schedule" time to be introspective and concentrate on tuning the world out and tuning God in.

moomycoz said...

This is very interesting. I am going to have to pay more attention and write things down. I can't say I have ever had a dream that I recognized as some sort of guidance or message, but I have had dreams that have had profound effects on my emotions. Usually, they don't make enough sense to even re-tell. I do have several themes to my dreams though - I wonder....

MJ said...

I have weird dreams. I would hate to try and put meaning to them because I wouldn't know where to start.

I think there are many people making money off telling people what their dreams means. Does this mean I don't believe your dreams can tell you something...no, it doesn't...but I think people are too quick to translate their dreams to mean something more than they are.

I once read an article about dreams being your brains way of connecting the dots. Basically, throughout your day-to-day activities you don't make simple connections because either you choose to ignore them or you've let things cloud your judgment. Through dreams, your brain find the easiest way to connect things...the simplest. This is why when something is on your mind, you dream about it. I'm not saying I believe this...but I think it's an interesting point.

mandy said...

i like your position about dreams as hints of the future--- there is also a lot to say about dreams that are hints of the past. there's a theory about alzheimer's disease that essentially states that the repetitive behaviors they engage in (like singing to a doll while pacing down the hall) are in fact purposeful and are attemps to make resistution for undone things in their life. i think dreams are often the same... the subject matter is often a reflection of things in our past that may not have totally been resolved.

Emily said...

I read this post about a week ago, and it has been on my mind ever since... I'm a dreamer, always have been. The article was great. It excited me a bit to think that there may be more to my crazy dreams than just random pieces of the days jumbled together in the most curious ways. I've actually had dreams of loved ones who've passed on encouraging and inspiring me to be more motivated and be a better person. These dreams have been few and far between...but worth treasuring. I really believe these are gifts from above...