Sunday, October 11, 2009

What we did for fall break

It's fall break. Fall break is time off school when it isn't painfully hot and you are actually happy to be alive. #1's school gives two weeks of fall break. We just wrapped up week one.

I love having #1 around. Her spirit is an asset in our home. She plays great with #2 and #3, and helps me around the house. But the best part of having her home is that she makes all sorts of creative projects like this one:

the fine print: COME to my room; 10/29 2009

fine print: dace (dance); not scary, not sad, yes happy, yes fun

She posted these signs all around the house advertising a dance she will be hosting on October 29th. Some of the signs included rules on how to behave while attending her dance.

The climax of week one of fall break was our camping trip. Our family's first. Spouse has taken #2 camping for Father's and Sons and of course last year Spouse, #1 and I backpacked into the Sawtooths for four days. But our little family has never camped alone and all together.

I always wanted us to be a camping family but living in AZ has really put an damper on those expectations. My version of camping requires pine trees, tall mountains, cold nights and fires to keep warm; not heat, not cacti, not scorpions, not palo verde trees. This is a tall order living in the desert.

Looking at our state parks online I discovered that if we drove north enough we could get pretty darn close to my ideal camping. We camped near Upper Lake Mary in the Coconino National Forest. Since it is the middle of October and the last weekend the campground was open we had the place to ourselves. Hallelujah!

Camping with children is an adventure; so many inconveniences. Like using the bathroom in the night, spilling food all over their only change of clothing, and keeping them safe around the fire. But there were other exciting times too. Like the swarm of bees that descended onto our campsite on the second day. We had to pack up in a flash and get outta there! Or like crossing paths with this beast:



Or watching a three foot tall (6-7 foot wing span) eagle fly away from our picnic table with our entire loaf of wheat bread clutched in his beak. This was all that was left of what was to be our lunch:

The children were so happy to be camping and I was so happy to watch them enjoy their freedom to explore, be silly and get dirty. I also was entertained by Spouse's excitement at getting to use his knife for a truly manly purpose.

We were cozy in our tent and I'm proud to report that the children slept like logs. On the other hand, it was a very long, uncomfortable night for Spouse and I. I've never been so excited for the sun to appear! Note to self: next time bring sleeping pads, or cots, or a queen size mattress.


Our cute little campsite

my cute little camper

the children and I at Lake Mary

Spouse getting our fire going

Spouse and children enjoying the roaring fire that kept us warm

9 comments:

Amy said...

fun.

you guys are way fun.

us ... we are boring. you ... you are FUN.

seriously, the camping looks like an adventure and I am sure my kids would love to do that someday. wanna take them???

DKAZ said...

Wow, what an adeventure. I love the eagle story. You don't get that everyday in our lovely desert. That sounds like a great first week of fall break. Now are we gonna hang out for the 2nd week? PS, you should've called and taken my kids and spouse with you.

Evelyn said...

Looks like fun!

MJ said...

We did the camping thing this summer...twice. There were fun moments and some not so fun moments, but I think we will do it again. One thing is certain... we need a bigger tent.

And holy crap about the eagle!

Erin A said...

I love camping too! Definitely get a camping mattress next time. And call us next time you go; it's always great with friends!

Audrey said...

You're back! I admire you taking a group of kids camping. My husband grew up doing this. I grew up raised by my grandparents who had long ago given up the idea that they needed to be inconvenienced to allow me fun. My trips were to Disneyland and Disneyworld. Hey, I'm not complaining, but it sure has made it hard for me to want to be a camper for my kids.

Jacqui said...

First of all, I adore the signs for the dance #1 made. So creative and darn cute. It was fun to see her at the wedding.

Camping. Ugh. Good for you! I am so happy you went and made tent, dirt, tarantula, eagle memories with your kids. You are such a good mama! The background looks mighty familiar. At least you knew you had a my parents house to crash at if you got totally desperate! :)

Katie said...

Looks like so much fun! Don't you love all those little things that make memories? Those minor catastrophies are the things I remember from camping trips when I was younger!

Jami said...

For a second I thought you guys actually had snuck into Utah!! Glad you got some true "fall" fun in.