Monday, February 22, 2010

When a peanut butter sandwich just won't do

Most days I have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. That's because there usually aren't enough leftovers for both Spouse and I. I don't mind letting Spouse take the leftovers to work. When all your colleagues are going out to lunch, a ham sandwich and an apple just don't seem very appetizing. But a steaming plate of (insert some delicious homemade entree) will certainly take the edge off of not going out.

Last week was highly unusual. Because we had Spouse's parents here we ate out at least one meal each day. (Thank you In-Laws!). Paradise Bakery, Pei Wei, Claim Jumper, Kitchen at the Farm.... I was spoiled. And not just in a caloric sense. Now it is Monday and our house is quiet. It is raining outside and I can't seem to shake this craving for more rich, restaurant food.

A few moments ago I stood in front of the open pantry, head resting on the door in a depressive state as I scanned the shelves for something appetizing. I couldn't, just couldn't be satisfied with a peanut butter sandwich today! There was a silent debate in my brain, my id vs my ego, or was it my alter-ego versus my conscience?....something Freudian, I'm sure.... one side trying to convince me that nothing in our house was acceptable to my overindulged palette, (it really wouldn't be too bad to just get in the car and drive somewhere yummy) and the sensible side reminding me of our budget and questioning if I really need a calorie splurge today?

As you have deducted, I am still here at the house. Trying to fill the void that the measly peanut butter sandwich left in stomach by blogging about it.

What do you do when a peanut butter sandwich just won't do?

13 comments:

Shawna said...

when a pb won't do, I add a banana, some nutella maybe some chocolate chips and sprinkles. Not really, but I do enjoy a pb and banana sandwich every once in a while to spice things up a bit. Try grilling it too. It was Elvis' favorite sandwich and it's soooo good!

DKAZ said...

I definitely don't write a clever little blog post about it. This might be the answer to all your cravings.

Sweating in the endless heat said...

You have your friend deliver girl scout cookies:-) See you in a couple!

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Like you, I have pb&j most every day. On the days when I feel like a splurge but I don't want to spend anything, I just go straight for dessert. I've sometimes wondered if my husband or kids have ever noticed that the left-over birthday cake, the oreos, or the ice cream seems to disappear during the middle of the day.

Since last week was my birth-week, today I'm coming off a restaurant hangover too. The birthday cake for breakfast and lunch did wonders for me!

Emily said...

Apple & Cheese... My favorite!

Peterson Family said...

Bake some cookies!! :)

Okay, so I am the worst person to ask, since I had this dilemma just yesterday and broke down for a $5 footlong. Actually, in the end I went 6in. and soup. But we too live on a budget, so I can't do this very often.

You know, often I will make a HUGE batch of soup (White Bean Soup and Lentil soup are my favorites) and divide it out into individual baggies and freeze them. Then I have lunch for over a week!!

JLJ said...

Shawna- I too am a lover of an occasional pb and banana sandwich (toasted). I was just reading about Elvis' fave sandwich.... it may be worth a try!

DK- nothing fills me up like a healthy dose of DK sarcasm. :)

Sweating - still waiting for those cookies..... :)

Crazy - I have no shame in admitting that I've also forgone anything healthy in lieu of a giant piece of cake for lunch. Birthday cake is soooo good on the 2nd day.

Em- never tried apple and cheese. good suggestion.

Peterson - I love lentil soup too! I make soup about once a week just so I can have leftovers at least for a few days. I make a white bean and spinach soup that I also love - I wonder if your white bean soup recipe is similar. Love soup!

MegaPPod said...

grilled cheese or my new favorite is a wrap filled with spinach, mushrooms and cheese. followed by some peanut butter girl scout cookies.

Unknown said...

on days when pb & j sounds gross, I just eat candy for lunch...cheers me up every time!

Tamara said...

Make the PB&J - but grill it. Seriously - use real butter and grill it. Like grilled cheese.

Weird, Yes.

Totally worth it...
Absolutely. :)

M said...

This was such an awesome post. Seriously. I echo what katie said. I eat candy for lunch. Or bake treats.

Amy said...

this is why we have an emergency visa. I consider this an emergency. Please say you went and got some rich restaurant food!!!

Audrey said...

Ugh, I hate that letdown. It's like those weekends where you end up eating out for lunch and dinner and then you're like, "I have to prepare something for myself?!?!" I don't think there is a good answer other than to eat what you normally do and have a super yummy dessert with it.