Monday, March 1, 2010

A Ragnariffic Relay

After years of dropping not so subtle hints to friends, neighbors, acquaintances and strangers I was finally, FINALLY asked to be on a Ragnar Relay team. Whoo hoo!

The relay was this past weekend. And the experience did not disappoint.

I got to see this lovely sight (running):


Vehicle #2 consisted of me and 5 people I had never met until just before this picture was taken. Don't they look nice? They were. We spent 30+ hours cramped in a jeep together, our respective sweaty stinks mingling. Could have been a recipe for disaster, but fortunately our respective coolnesses were compatible.


See what I mean about cramped? And that is with one runner on the road.


My teammate, a Ragnar enthusiast, brought a cowbell with him from Utah. I learned there is a right and a wrong way to ring a cowbell when you are cheering your runner on. Next time I'll have it down pat.



In case you were wondering, this is what the middle of nowhere looks like.


Would you be this excited to run 6 miles in the dead of night?


At this point I was freezing, hungry and ready to sleep. I eventually warmed up. We found a Subway for dinner. But I never did get to sleep.


Here I am coming out of the shoot, strapping on the baton (a bracelet, really) and ready to run up a steep set of hills.


The dudes in vehicle #2. All really great runners and super nice guys.



The finish line was a party. When our final runner came around the corner we all jumped in with her to cross the finish line together. Yellow is definitely NOT my color and I guess if I hadn't wanted to look completely chubby I could have taken off a few of the layers underneath. But I was really trying to go for the "appear the hugest possible" look, - I did it for all the cameras, you know?





So, who's in for next year?

17 comments:

Jacqui said...

GOOD FOR YOU! I have my first 10k coming up--my first "race" since high school. It's been such a bummer past two months (of a massive head cold, a huge vacation and a kitchen remodel) that I haven't trained. At all.

Yeah.

But good for you! I am totally impressed.

Esther said...

Yeah! You did it! Congratulations!

Tara and Brigham said...

Jenn, how fun!!! I love it! I really wish I wanted to do it, haha. I did run twice last week though, so who knows?! I'm glad you had a good time and that your foot was all good!

Heather said...

My friend Rochelle was on your team! Too funny :) Looks like you guys had fun!

Shawna said...

Your pictures are hilarious! I always feel so proud of people when they accomplish things like this. Good for you. The photo of you celebrating at the finish line is priceless. You're awesome!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

JL, I am so happy for you:-) I am glad you had such an awesome experience. Just seeing that man in the first picture would have made the whole thing worth doing..lol:-)

Ali said...

What the heck is a Ragnar race? Sorry, I have no idea. How did you meet no one until that day? Looks like something I'd like, if I knew what it was! :)

Way to go!

JLJ said...

Good question Ali. The team was made up of people from various wards in our stake. They were looking for another runner and a friend of mine who also knew the team captain suggested they ask me. And yes, the Ragnar Relay is definitely something you would like. Click on the click at the beginning of the post to find out more about it. I would love to put together a Crane dream team :)

Peterson Family said...

You are one crazy girl!! :) Good for you for going for it... I am totally impressed! And I loved all the yellow... at least you were warm! :) hehe YOU ROCK!

As for joining, I think that I will run vicariously through you!

Rochelle and Spencer said...

I had some much fun meeting you and running with you this past weekend. I found your blog on Heather's blog. You did a great job and thanks for letting all of us cram into your car stinky and all.

Evelyn said...

way to go, JL! You inspire me.

Erin said...

You could not pay me to run all day and night like that....NO Way! You look great and it looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Katie said...

JL! I'm so happy you got to do it! Well. . .mostly happy and just a little bit jealous! Next summer is my year to finally do it. . . you and Matt want to come do it with us?

birdie said...

WAY TO GO, JL!! seriously - that guy with the dreds would've made the entire event alone worth it.

of course they would choose you, silly!! you are an amazing and completely committed runner. you go.

Tamara said...

I could never do this - I'm not much of a runner - but I'm so PROUD OF YOU!

Tell you what, I'll go next year and be your designated Cheerleader...GO JL, GO JL, GO JL! (see, I'd be great!)

Seriously though, you continue to amaze me with all that you do---you ROCK! We sure miss you guys!

angela said...

hey you,

i peek in on your blog from time to time and loved the post. i ran the wasatch back (ragnar in ut) for my first time last year and am on a team for this year too...it was a blast!! i think that guy in pic #1 was at my race too, maybe they pay him to run like that at every race!!!

i would love to run ragnar in az, can i be on the crane dream team???

hope you don't mind me sneaking in to see what you are up to!!!

Angela

DKAZ said...

Was that Matt in the first picture? Way to go-totally impressed!