Monday, May 10, 2010

How Spouse Fared While I was in the U.T.

While I was gone for four days, Spouse was large and in charge. I left him a detailed schedule of who needed to be where and how to get there and what to eat and how to make it. It's not that I doubt his fathering abilities, it's just that the man is never home and doesn't know the day to day stuff.

So you can bet that I was surprised by our phone conversation Thursday night.

"Yeah, so I think I'm gonna go camping with Mike tomorrow night."

"What are you going to do with the kids?"

"Bring 'em."

The idea was so absurd I had to keep myself from laughing at his naivete. Taking three kids camping ALONE is not an easy task. Especially if you've never packed for or prepared for any family vacation, trip or outing. Or camping trip. But I wasn't about to burst his bubble. I figured once reality hit, he would come to his senses.

Friday afternoon I found I had missed 4 frantic calls and one text message from Spouse.

"Where is #1's swim suit? It is not in her drawer. It is not anywhere! Call me back quick!"

When I called him back it was too late, he was already on the road. He was really doing it. They were going camping.

Turns out Spouse is much more capable than I ever gave him credit for. Not only did he take the kids camping, but he cleaned up all traces of the camping trip. Laundry, done. Equipment, neatly stowed. In fact, I wouldn't believe it had actually happened if it weren't for this hard evidence:







7 comments:

Audrey said...

And, he takes some cute photos! What a great husband.

Peterson Family said...

My hat is off...

My husband won't go camping even WITH me there!! haha :)

MegaPPod said...

I think most husbands probably are capable of much more than even they think. Nothing like their own self interest to get them motivated! Sounds like you all had a good time!

Erin A said...

Very impressive!! What lake is that? And was the campgroud really on the road?

Except for the sleeping part, I really enjoy camping. What I hate about camping is the clean-up! Way to go Spouse!

moomycoz said...

Never underestimate an Eagle Scout! Aren't you glad you insisted on that?

Esther said...

I was so glad that the guys decided to go. The kids had such a fun time and the best part was that I got to stay home. They really did great for being two guys with 6 kids on their own. Amazing!

MJ said...

Wow. Well done!