Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Number Three turns 3



For her birthday, #3 received a bubble machine. It is a parent's dream come true. You just fill it's little cavity with bubble solution, push a button and the magic happens. Hundreds of big, beautiful, bubbles blowing continuously without you exerting a single breath. Yesterday, while #1 and #2 were at school I was sitting at my computer paying bills and catching up on business. #3 was bored and begging for... I don't know what, I wasn't really listening. While I tried to focus on whatever I was doing I absently ignored her little voice, "Mommy, you wah wah wah wah ? Mommy, wah wah wah! Mommy, wah wah wah. Mommy! MA-ME!" I suddenly snapped out of my budget-fixing-induced-coma, huh? what? You want me to get your bubbles? Sure.

She took my hand and led me to the back door. We went outside and I dutifully filled her bubble machine, clicked the button and headed straight back for my computer where my excel sheet was awaiting me. Her sweet, lispy voice stopped me in my tracks, "Mommy, you want to share this with me?"

Of course I do. I want to share this moment of your childhood and watch you dance under the bubbles, smiling and laughing with joy only a three year old can feel. Bills can wait, but you, my dear, are changing faster than the earth is spinning and soon you won't be asking me to share in your small joys.

If #1 was sent to our family to give me confidence as a mother, then #2 was sent to challenge that confidence. And #3 was sent to slow me down and ask me to cherish my motherhood.






Here are some pictures of the little rat's birthday party:


Spouse creating the "under the sea" theme chalk mural on our back wall.





buckets of Goldfish for snacking

a sand pile full of treasures


urban artists


5 comments:

Jami said...

What a fabulous birthday idea!! Caymbree's #3 is quickly approaching and I just might have to steal the idea. ALL of it. I'm just still trying to decide if I dare brave three year olds or not.

Tara and Brigham said...

what a fun party! she was so cute singing on the phone the other day... your dad put it on speaker so I could listen. Can't wait to see you guys next month!

Erin A said...

Darling! I love the profile of her sweet little face while she's drawing. Cute Story!

Erin said...

I can remember when she was first born and would swing on the porch during swim lessons! I can't believe she is three!

moomycoz said...

You were very wise to catch that special moment with the bubbles. I love her pictures - her face is pure happiness.