Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Signs of Life

Excuse me for leaving you all anxiously waiting for my desert garden update. Good news! There are plants growing! And most of them are not weeds. I was very worried about our little garden yesterday during the torrential rains. Our backyard filled up like a pool, covering the tops of some of our young plants. I was very afraid they would be washed away, but they survived. Hooray!

Just like a new puppy my children have quickly lost interest and responsibility of our garden. It's up to me to nurture the tender plants and I must admit to a maternal sort of affection I have for the sprouts. I truly was joyful this morning to see they had survived the storm.

Every spring I set aside a certain amount of physical and mental tolerance to see me through the grueling Phoenix summer heat. But by every September I find myself running on empty. The constant sweating irritates me more. I find the baking sun loathsome. A part of my soul shrivels up and refuses to bloom until the gosh-darned-blankety-blank-blank white-hot heat ends!

Monday and Tuesday it rained. A lot. At first the rain acted like a dipper of water poured onto hot sauna bricks. Nothing but miserable steam. But as the sky kept pouring, the hot earth eventually cooled and yesterday I found myself feeling glad to be outside. This morning on my run I heard birds singing with joy for a cool morning. I felt like singing with them. That poor part of my soul that had gone into hiding, was stretching it's limbs, wondering if it's safe yet to come out.

I've lived here long enough to know that we have a few more weeks before the real respite arrives. But today, I feel renewed and I think I've refilled my tolerance just enough to get me to Thanksgiving.

How about you? Does the weather/temperature affect you like this or am I just nutso?



ps. Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Peterson Family said...

Oh yes, I am a desert tarantula... I lose all energy during the HOT summer and want to 'burrow' away in my house with A/C until the weather cools off. Then fall comes and I feel like I come alive again! I can NOT wait to go outside and enjoy the reason AZ is so awesome... the fabulous season of 'falwintring' (you know since we really only have two seasons here). :)

Unknown said...

I find that my tolerance for the 6 month summers is actually lower and lower the longer we live here. By August I just chuck it all and put the thermostat on 79 all day long. :)

Jami said...

I become a beast when I am hot. I hate it!!!!! I'm quite certain my marriage would not survive if I lived in az.

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Yes! I'm a recluse for all of June-August. I probably emerge whiter rather than tanner at the end of the summer.

But at least for me, from Halloween through April I remember why I enjoy living here!

Wonderful news on your garden! I'll know who to thank when a 2 foot squash shows up on my doorstep! Happy awakening!

MegaPPod said...

We go outside all summer (and part of what I consider spring and fall) except for when we were vacationing in UT. I don't think the heat (and the humidity here in San Antonio) is something I will ever get used to. It's finally cooled off now, and I am like a different person. I am definitely a penguin. Not a tamale.