Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Deep thoughts and #1's baptism

Tonight after the other kids were asleep I found #1 in her dark room, huddled over her scriptures with a flashlight. "Mom, can you read this to me?" She was reading Song of Solomon from the new Bible she received at her baptism.

"Uh, wouldn't you like me to read you something else?" (Have you ever read Song of Solomon? Not exactly eight year old material.)

"I think you and Dad are the tooth fairy."

"Uh, what?!? What made you think about that tonight?"

"Well I was thinking about how I don't believe in magic. Like it's impossible for reindeer to fly. Maybe there are birds holding up the reindeer. Why can't birds pull Santa's sleigh? They fly? How can anyone know? I mean, maybe Santa's suit is green? Maybe everything we know about Santa is wrong!"

"You're right. No one really knows anything about Santa. How about we read your scriptures now. Would you like me to read to you about Jesus' birth?"

So we read Luke 2 and when it was over she hugged me and pulled my face close for a kiss. "Thanks for reading that to me mom."




That pretty much says everything about my intellectual and analytical yet believing and faithful firstborn.

She was baptized by her own choice in the Logan Tabernacle on a very cold day in November. She felt sheepish in the white jumpsuit, as did Spouse. But she earnestly listened to the talks on baptism and the Holy Ghost. She was moved by the special music arranged by my sister. And when it came time to go under the water she didn't just go under, she jumped up and went under.

While I helped #1 into her beautiful baptism dress and braided her wet hair, the men in the chapel were anxiously occupied in striving to drain the font.

#1 was truly radiant as she sat to be confirmed and receive the Holy Ghost.

When the baptism was over, people were hungry and it was time to party. My dear father in law treated the entire group to a real fiesta at our favorite mexican joint.

It was a happy, happy day for our family.









Fiesta time!

If you are in any of the photographs below: Thank you for coming and sharing our special day with us!



6 comments:

Jami said...

Congratultions #1!!! It's a pretty amazing exerience for them and just as amazing for the parents to watch their first born take that first step. Glad it was a great day for you!

DKAZ said...

That sounds like a great day. What a great example to her siblings and friends.
Wow, you covered, the Song of Solomon, Santa and the tooth fairy in one night. :)

Audrey said...

My oldest is due to be baptized in April and it's amazing the questions that run through their minds! Here's what we've encountered: "How do you know this Book of Mormon is even true? I mean, you've never met Joseph Smith, have you?" Or what about, "Do you think Pilate really wanted to kill Jesus because I don't. I think he was feeling pressured." Ummmm...I don't think I thought at this level till I was in college. YIKES!!!

birdie said...

hooray for #1!! the pics of her are priceless, JL. I love them! What a sweet sweet girl.

Such a great day!

moomycoz said...

So are you just going to let her figure it out? You are entering the "caution" zone of Santa education. As for the baptism - we were so grateful to be able to be a part of that day. It was a beautiful day because she is a beautiful child.

Peterson Family said...

I am still in shock that our 'babies' were old enough to be baptized this year. She looks beautiful in her baptism dress! We too went up to Utah for the special day... however, we just missed the snow apparently it came only days after we left. At least now you'll have some 'fun' memories to share about your trip!! :)