Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Scenes

Yesterday afternoon #3 and I were roaming the aisles of Target as I slyly added things to my basket, hoping #3 didn't notice. Christmas was definitely on her mind as evidenced by her singing, unabashedly at the top of her lungs, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer."

#3 has her own lyrics that go something like this:

...how bout the other reindeer? used to laugh and call him names
.... then one froggy Christmas Eve
... if you ever saw it you would even say it globed

...over and over again. She doesn't quite know the order of the lines or exactly how to end the song.

So there we were in Target. We turned down one crowded, wider aisle and suddenly, like one of those 'spontaneous' musicals you see on You-Tube, a random lady who had been earnestly searching the boys pajama rack, whipped around and joined in singing the chorus of "Rudolph." Within seconds a few more shoppers who had apparently overheared #3's singing quickly joined in the song. Surprisingly, #3 wasn't embarrassed by the attention but encouraged by it. She sang louder and with bodily animation (all while sitting in the front of the cart). People stopped shopping and turned to watch the impromptu show. When the song ended, the on-lookers clapped and laughed. A few people across the way yelled, "That's the Christmas spirit!" and "She's a performer!" Then a lady approached us. She had tears and a smile on her face. "I can't tell you how happy that made me."

The crowd dispersed, but the fullness in my heart didn't for quite some time. I kept thinking about all the things that divide us (the people on my street or in my town or in my state or in my country or in the world). There are so many differences, so much that make us enemies. Sometimes these things get me down and I wonder how we, the collective people on earth, are going to pull through.

I guess that's why I was moved by what happened at Target. There was nothing unifying us but a three year old singing (and our love for cheap-chic only found at Target). And for a few moments, total strangers shared something special and joyful.

I don't know what the answers are, but I know they have something to do with children, hope, love, joy.... and Target.






More scenes of Christmas at our house



11 comments:

birdie said...

What a sweet sweet story. I love it! #3 is a kick in the pants - what a cute one :)

Sweating in the endless heat said...

What an awesome story:-) Your children are so amazing!

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that story. Leave it to #3 (and Target, of course) to get everyone in the Christmas spirit. Thanks for sharing! (And for having sweet #3.)

Esther said...

This story made me smile. I just had a talk with my #1 as we left the Home Depot on 75th Ave (where I had to go to look for one wreath, unfortunately). There were workers all over the parking lot. I had to relay that we would like to help them, but it isn't safe to have people come and work at your home off the street. i.e. the Elizabeth Smart story. Its sad that we have to be on guard so much. Its nice that the Christmas spirit came through because of your #3 and a lady who was willing to join in the fun!

Peterson Family said...

That is so sweet!! She really is a cutie. :) Good for her for spreading MUCH needed Christmas cheer around her own little world!

Oh, and Rudolph's nose does 'globe', I have seen it with my own eyes! Well, at least I thought so when I was just about #3's age. ;) hehe

mandy said...

that's a great backdrop for a modern-day christmas movie- all the right ingrediants: rudolph, target, a crying lady, and a cute 3 yr old... miss mother english- begin writing for the christmas 2011 season!

Jacqui said...

Loved that! Brought me some tears and smiles. I wish I'd been there to see it. I love wishing Target workers a Merry Christmas because they aren't allowed to say anything but Happy Holidays (but some whisper it to me). But I still love Tar-jay. :)

BTW, My Babe has similar lyrics for her Christmas sons. She sings, "Deck the Halls with Halloween! Fa la-la-la-la (etc.)" I have non idea where she got it, but it is too cute.

Evelyn said...

Love it!!!! So cute. Hope you have a good trip...hopefully NON-eventful. Wish we could be there!!

Jami said...

Totally got teary reading it. Love the small moments that put the spirit into the holidays! Merry christmas!

Amber said...

That is super cute!

moomycoz said...

That is so like #3. After hearing her sing dozens of Christmas songs with unbridled exhuberance, I am not surprised. It is contagious. But that story is like something from a movie! What a sweet experience for you both.