Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How to turn 6 in style

Last week on this very day, the children and I rode our bikes to a nearby park to meet up with some friends. It was an "early release" day at school, so the park was crawling with wildly happy kids. #2 and I started throwing the football back and forth and it wasn't long before all the boys in the vicinity gravitated to us and wanted in on the football action.

This is exactly the type of situation #2 thrives in. Lots of boys, lots of energy, new friends and some sort of ball. It was #2's idea to take it to the next level. "Hey! Come and wrestle me!" He caught a ball and took off running, shrieking with laughter.

The boys were tackling each other now and loving it. They were rolling in dirt and grass, wrestling the ball away from each other, laughing.

I think you know where this is going.


Straight to the orthopedist.






The Doctor asked, "What happened buddy?"

"Playing football and I got my finger stepped on."

"How old are you?"

"Five."

Looking over his glasses, he scanned #2 up and down, sizing him up, "How have you not been in here yet?"





#2 is a big, active boy who likes to play hard (and is often clumsy). It's a miracle he's kept his bones intact for five whole years.






As if a broken bone weren't enough action for this boy, here is another milestone #2 crossed this past week:



Ripped the bloody tooth from his gums with one hand. The other had pushing me away, not wanting any help.



If you looked up the definition of "six year old boy" in the dictionary here is the picture you'll find:




Happy Birthday Buster!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A cast?! What an awesome birthday present! I never got a cast for MY birthday...

Tara and Brigham said...

I love this post so much, haha. What a week!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

First of all, I CAN NOT believe he is 6!!! Holy cow!!! Anyway, he still has a special place in my heart...every time I think of that cute #2 of yours, I think of when I got to babysit him and watch how sweet he is. Happy Birthday #2:-)

MegaPPod said...

Oh I love boys. He's amazing, so glad it was just a finger! Happy birthday #2!

mandy said...

i got to get over there as soon as possible to sign that cast- hopefully he's not yet old enough to think that an adult signature is lame!

Holly said...

He looks way too happy to be in there. You are in for trouble!