Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chapter Four, in which we climb every mountain (or just one)

One of my favorite hikes in Logan Canyon is the Wind Cave trail. It's not a long or strenuous hike. It's steep, but short. The view at the top is amazing and the caves themselves are fascinating and a little scary.

I can't count how many times I've done this hike. And I think I've hiked it with everyone I ever knew before I was 21.

When I hiked the Wind Caves with my family in July it had been quite a while since I'd hit that path. It was like meeting an old friend after a long separation. Nearly every turn inspired a unique memory. I remembered first dates, friends, my family, emergency situations (of both the funny and scary kind), old family dogs and of course Spouse.

Now my kids are part of my Wind Cave memories too. How #2 and I decided to take a "short-cut" that was more of a "long-cut" and how when he stopped to go to the bathroom we watched a mother deer and her still-spotted baby pass by without their noticing us. And how I drove #1 crazy with all my frantic warnings, "Don't get so close to the edge!" "#1! Stop! You're too close!"

Here is a glimpse of the famous Wind Caves:

That's Brother Brig on the top.



Slowly but surely, she made it to the top! Now, if I can just get her to step away from the ledge!



Just before this picture, Brother Brig had borrowed my camera thinking that I would have a high-zoom lens like his fine art photographer wife and he could get a better view of some creature down below. After a minute of fidgeting with my lens, he handed the camera back to me with a dissatisfied sigh.

#1 down inside the cave.


Me, #1 and #2 from inside the cave


Mom, littlest sister, Brother Brig, #2. Not pictured, Bra and baby S.


Have I hiked the Wind Caves with you?


1 comment:

DKAZ said...

Wow that is a great view. I love caves like this...makes for a great picture. Isn't it funny how you know you are being so annoying with all of your warnings and reminders, but you just can't help yourself. I'm excited to one day do this hike with you guys. ;)