Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Stalling

One of the greatest lessons I have learned from motherhood is how to milk the moment. I am doing this right now, even as I write this blog post.  I am milking this moment that both my mobile kids are in separate tubs, de-sanding after the park, completely entertaining themselves, without fighting, without getting into anything, without breaking anything, without rearranging the presents under the tree again. At this very moment no one is crying, no one is asking for anything, no one is tattling. Every thing is right in the world.  

I should be rushing them out of the tub and onto the next activity, or I should be mopping my now sandy floor, or folding the laundry.  But I am stalling. I am milking this moment of peace and quiet.  

Usually these rare moments of quiet mean that something terrible is happening behind a closed door. Like yesterday, when I suddenly realized that it had been quiet for a while, I found that #1 and #2 and taken EVERYTHING out of #2's closet.  In our tiny house every closet is packed like sardines. So you can imagine how much stuff was unfolded, unpacked, and unhung.

I knew it couldn't last long. #2 is yelling for me.  
  

4 comments:

daisy said...

I'm glad you decided to just sit...instead of clean the floor. Clean floors are overrated! I also love quiet moments.

Katie said...

I love those quiet moments. Sometimes, even if I know I will pay (such as emptying closets, etc), I enjoy the moment because they are so few and far between.

Mainly I am just jealous that you were at the park.

Jami said...

Don't ya love how in those rare cherished moments we choose to blog instead of the hundred and one things we SHOULD be doing! I'm glad we have our priorites straight!

happy mom said...

that is the only way to live, milk it and milk it as long as possible.