Tuesday, January 1, 2008

9 years and counting

Spouse and I recently heard an interesting observation about marriage given by the officiator at my little sister's wedding.  He said, "Marriage is the most awful wonderful thing." What a perfectly realistic summation.  I love the law of opposition and that it rings especially true in your marriage; you experience the worst so you can appreciate the best.  

So to commemorate our 9 year anniversary (December 29) here are 9 of the most awful wonderful moments of our marriage:

February 2001 - Spouse and I spend a lame 5 hours in jail because we forgot to pay our seat-belt tickets. Yes, I got a ticket too as the passenger. We got one phone call and we used it to call spouse's mom to let her know we'd be late for Sunday dinner.  This is serious crime work for Utah police.  

June 2001 - We move into our 1st home. Spouse did tons of work on this house, he even built the mantel, the bannister and all the finish work. Although we loved it, we didn't really appreciate how lucky we were. 

May 2002 - We leave our family and beautiful home and move to Arizona.  Spouse and my brother narrowly escape death on the drive down. However, the trailer they were pulling with all of our stuff didn't fare so well. Everything (but my new piano) was smashed to splinters.

November 2002 - #1 is born after an dramatic labor and delivery. At one point I was screaming, "You're killing me!" 

November 2002 - Spouse breaks his ankle playing Turkey bowl tackle football - has two screws put in two weeks later.  Nice timing huh? 

February 2005 - #2 is born weighing a whoppin' 9 lbs 12 oz, 22 1/2 inches long - and this is when the madness which is our lives began.

May 2005 -  HALLELUJAH!! Spouse graduates from Architecture school.  Coming home after two days only to shower and go back to school - OVER! House filling with existential architectural theory thesis material - OVER! Single motherhood - OVER! 

June 2005 - Move to current residence, and within hours totally regret it- It was our neighbor's live Mariachi band that played until 5 am. This was during the time when houses were selling within hours, and we didn't have many options.  However, it didn't take us long to find tons of great friends who were stuck in the same boat.

May 2007 - #3 is born after a quiet, calm labor and delivery.  She is a calming force in our family, just what we needed.

Spouse, if you ever read my blog, listen up because I'm about to shout from the rooftops - I LOVE YOU! You keep me laughing and loving life. Thank you for not letting me take things too seriously and for somehow seeing past my many flaws.  The past nine years have been the most awful wonderful years and I'm so glad they were spent with you. Happy anniversary.




7 comments:

Jami said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys have had one eventful marriage! I love all the snipits(?) of information! It cracked me up!

Katie said...

I love that quote - it's so true! Don't forget the beautiful sleigh bed that somewhat survived the disasterous trailer flip and ended up sitting beautifully in my master bedroom!

Congrats and happy anniversary!

Oh, and I feel like our #2 and #3 kids have had the same influence in our lives - #2's have made life INSANE while #3's have added so much peace! At least we got rewarded for putting up with busy, late-talking 2 year olds!

Megan said...

I remember the broken leg/ ankle or whatever! didn't he totally get out of having to move you guys in to your town house?
That does sound absolutely crazy horrible and wonderful all at the same time!
Happy anniversary!

MegaPPod said...

Amen.

Peterson Family said...

Well that was a fun read!! I totally agree with that quote.

Kids #1 AND #2 for us have made life crazy so I will tell you that when #3 comes along it had BETTER BE PEACEFUL (me pulling my hair out)!! :) ha...ha... (not an announcement)

Oh the days when houses were selling like hot-cakes... house/condo #1 sold in 48 hours and house #2 sold in well... attempt #1- failed and finally attempt #2- 8 long months... Oh the joys of the cycling housing market.

Astrodon Johnstoni said...

Happy Anniversary from a fellow winter bride (January in Maryland -- We were out of our ever-lovin' minds) and Laveenian, if that's a word.

happy mom said...

I liked that too, well when your sister and Cheryl told me about it. what the sealer said. that was cute, I love it, and happy anniversary!