Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Perfect Saturday

Growing up my family went backpacking and hiking for family vacations. Spouse would have written that "vacations" because his idea of a vacation is doing as little as possible.

Sitting here tonight I feel like I might have experienced The Perfect Saturday. For me The Perfect Saturday includes a long run, hours in the sun at #1's fist soccer game, children playing freely while Spouse weeds the yard and I detail the house. The perfect Saturday must include the satisfaction of a well stocked pantry and a full (clean) frig. It also includes #1 and me in the kitchen making strawberry jam while Spouse mows the lawn and #2 rides his bike on the back patio. The Perfect Saturday winds down with the kids eating cereal for dinner because I don't HAVE to cook every night, right? It's only perfect if I still haven't showered as I write this post and if my legs are so exhausted they feel like jelly under me. The Perfect Saturday will end with me falling into bed, very soon; scriptures sliding off my chest before I finish one verse. This is satisfaction to me.

Spouse, if you ever read this, I know you are rolling your eyes right now. My Perfect Saturday = Spouse's Saturday From Hell. Spouse's perfect Saturday would go something like this: sleep in. Sleep in so late it's time for lunch. Go out to lunch. Lay on the couch watching an old western or some boring science show, with me snuggled under his arm only getting restless when it's time to refill our popcorn and Diet Cokes. Doze. Rouse in time to get dressed for dinner which would of course be Mexican take out. Stay up late eating treats and watching movies. Don't ask what the kids have been doing all this time. In Spouse's fantasy the children disappear on Saturdays.

What is your Perfect Saturday?

9 comments:

moomycoz said...

Perfect Saturday - temperature 75 degrees, bright sunshine. Hike on a beautiful trail in the canyon with one dog, not two and maybe husband, if he will agree to go more than 200 yards. Lunch at Cafe Rio, dinner at Chili's. Talk to each child on the phone for a while. A nice chick flick with popcorn. Aaaah.

Jami said...

Oh my. I really hate reading your blog this time of year. There you are basking in the warmth of the sun enjoying "Spring" in it's truest form while I meanwhile am preparing for the snow storm that is about to hit.

Right now my Perfect Saturday would be sleeping in, get in a good work out, then sitting by a swimming pool sipping my diet coke with fresh limes, reading all the latest gossip magazines and a good book. Meanwhile the maid is in the house cleaning. I suppose the kids could be playing in the pool which would wipe them out and they would all beg for a nap.
About 5pm the babysitter would arrive and Troy would whisk me off on a date night.
Totally selfish and indulgent but hey you did ask for the "PERFECT" Saturday. Not every Saturday...just one would be nice.

MJ said...

It's amazing how similar Spouse and I are. But I do admit that when I spend days like Spouse, I become depressed. So I think I like when I actually get dressed (as in do my hair and makeup) and plan the day out. And my perfect day always ends at a nice restaurant without kids.

Cara and Terry said...

I couldn't agree more with your perfect Saturday adn terry couldn't agree more with Spouses idea of the perfect saturday! Haha. That was good stuff...thanks for officially putting that down for the record!

Peterson Family said...

The part about the kids disappearing made me laugh out loud! My hubby is the same way! ;)

My perfect Saturday also includes sleeping in (as well as kids), making breakfast together, hit the gym with hubby (taking advantage of full hour of babysitting), go somewhere fun outdoors like the Zoo, go out to eat for lunch, come home lounge on couch, take kids to the park in the late afternoon, and then go out to dinner without kids.

One day when we have our own house again, that list will DEFINITELY include: HOME DEPOT, home improvement projects, power tools, and yard work. All of which, WE LOVE!! :)

Some Kind of Crazy said...

I have two different perfect Saturdays--both of which assume no mandatory meetings, practices, or parties.

Without Money: Sleep-in (although not until lunch), good breakfast together, and then household projects like installing ceiling fans on my patio (they've been in the box in my garage for 1+ year), painting my son's room (the paint has been in the garage for longer than the ceiling fans), organizing food storage, cleaning out closets etc. The kids don't need to disappear but not be underfoot. Dinner need not be fancy, just planned. Kids in bed by 8:00 while we stay up and watch a movie plus some dessert

With Money: Sleep-in (not until lunch) and have a good breakfast together. Out together as a family for a movie, lunch, and maybe a playground. Babysitter at 5:00. Spouse and I go out for a night on the town plus some dessert. Always there needs to be dessert.

Sigh.

Jacqui said...

Laughing right now.

I feel like a lazy bum if I lounge and sleep all day, eating junk food and watching tv/movies. I think Jeff would love that, though. My perfect Saturday is about like yours. My one caveat is that no one whines and cries, and all the children pitch in with a resounding, "Yes, Mom!" anytime I ask them to do anything.

After the kids eat cereal for dinner, they put themselves to bed happily and a babysitter comes. Then Jeff and I go out to dinner. When we come home the house is entirely spotless and the night is extended 3-4 more hours so we can stay up late and get a little more sleep before 9 a.m. church.

birdie said...

Up at 6 am and not tired, spend time to myself reading email/blog and magazines and hot chocolate. Later, tickle, tease, and laugh with hubstar and kiddos in our bed when they wake up at 8. Spafabulous pedicure while kiddos play at park w/ hubstar, shopping and lunch w/ my madre, nap while kiddos nap, and a super fab dinner out with hubstar (sans kiddos) at delish restaurant and other fab delish place for dessert. Plus a few diet cokes here and there throughout the day.

Mama Megs said...

You crack me up! We really should get our spouses together because they sound like saturday soul mates!