Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cha cha cha changes


first day

I just sent #1 out the door to her last day of Kindergarten and I can't help but feel heavy with emotion. She has had a great year, full of success and accomplishment. She has grown and blossomed. I'm proud of her but I can't help but feel the significance of this passage of time.

A year ago I dreaded the change that school would make on our family and I wept at night thinking of my little one away from me for many hours of her day. I accept change and growth but I can't deny that I suffer in transitions.

Today I look back a little wiser but still feel for that person I was a year ago. Then I look at #1 and marvel at the metamorphosis that has begun.

Look with me:

A year ago she snuggled and displayed affection without reserve. Now her love comes in the form of well written notes and an occasional kiss or hug given without my begging.

A year ago she drank from sippy cups, needed help opening her applesauce or juice boxes, played with ponies and slept with her ducky. Today she independently serves her own food, plays school and still sleeps with her ducky.

A year ago she would sing and dance around the room uninhibitedly. Now I only hear her singing behind the closed door of her bedroom. If she is ever caught she immediately turns silly and would be SO embarrassed if I said anything about her singing.

A year ago I was the law and The source of all correct information. Now #1 challenges my information with what she hears in school or reads in books.



I am not lamenting these changes or wishing for old times. I'm just taking a moment to remember the chubby, furry caterpillar that my spectacular butterfly used to be.


Last week - sorry for the toilet shot

7 comments:

Jami said...

Seriously. I wonder if all of these little milestones will be as monumental for kid #2, and #3. I'm always a little apprehensive for Hallee to experience these things but with Hope I find myself SO excited for her to experience what lies ahead.

She looks so cute in her uniform. Can't wait to see you soon. SO much catching up to do. Better schedule out the ENTIRE day :)

Sweating in the endless heat said...

You are such an AMAZING mom! You totally inspire me to slow down and smell the roses of life:-)

Unknown said...

Way to bring tears to my eyes, JL! Just know that I will be seeking you out next year for therapy and comfort when I, too, am forced to throw my firstborn to the proverbial kindergarten wolves.

Peterson Family said...

MAKE them STOP GROWING!!

I don't handle transitions well either. :) I relish each memory and wish to go back (not to change anything, but just to relive it again). It goes much too quickly.

She's a BEAUTIFUL butterfly.

happy mom said...

what a cutie, love the uniform, one of my favorite perks to the CS! good to see you at the reception.

Some Kind of Crazy said...

That is so sweet and tender JL! My days seem slow but the months fly by.

A couple days ago we took apart the crib that has traveled with us for these past 10 years! I think it helps us appreciate the NOW when we can be nostalgic for the past.

Cygnus said...

our girl 1 finished pre-school in may. she still loves to sing and dance uninhibitedly. she's loves learning and constantly barrages weef and me with questions ... sometimes it seems too many, but we always try to be patient and answer them for her or help her find the answer for herself.

i'm so excited to see what changes come with the next school year. she'll be in school all day, so that'll be a major change. girl 2 will be going to pre-school half a day. that'll be a BIG change. weef will have the house to herself (unless we get another foster care placement, for which we are fervently praying).

anyway, just thought i'd share some similar thoughts as to what you're feeling. hope all is well down there. :)