Saturday, January 30, 2010

Something I just overheard

.... that is killing me with suppressed laughter.

Scene: #1, #2 and I watching Nacho Libre, a movie we've all seen many times before. Nacho and Esqueleto have just been booted from Ramses party and Nacho is saying something like, "Sucks to be me right now."

Then Nacho calls Ramses a dirty word. A word I hate and cannot write without vomit coming into my mouth but it starts d and rhymes with whoosh. See? Gross, huh?

Completely unaware of what they are repeating, #1 laughs, "he he he he, Ramses is a d----- (mispronouncing the word)." Then #2 joins in, "Ramses is a d----- (completely mispronouncing the word again)."

I am sitting there in horror (that my children have been exposed to that word and are trying to say it!) mixed with laughter at their innocent mispronunciation, trying to not react at all so as to not bring attention (or questions!) to the word. They've already forgotten it right?!? And FYI, in our house there is no name calling, so I don't think they even realized it was meant as a derogatory term or they wouldn't have repeated it.

If spouse were home I would be busting a gut with him, our faces pressed into pillows to suffocate our laughter. But since he's not home, you, my lucky readers, get to share this humorous little ditty.


Once when #1 was about three years old she was entertaining herself with an alphabet book in the backseat of the car. She would make a letter sound and then try to finish it with a familiar ending. One line of rhyming went like this: "ta. truck! da. duck! sta. stuck! fu. ****!" (Maybe I shouldn't tell this story?) She paused and then said it again and again. And again, and again like a broken record, in different inflections - trying to determine if it was really a word. I just kept driving, face white, eyes bulging out of my head in horror!!!! Eventually she moved on to more interesting rhyming words that had meaning to her and she has never uttered that word since. (At least as far as I know.... yikes!)

What do you do when your kids innocently shock you with (what they don't know are) dirty words?

5 comments:

Erin A said...

Once in 3rd grade when I was coming home on the bus I let loose a string of expletives (that I had no idea what they meant) to a 4th grade bully. My mom found out about it even before I got home.

I got in trouble and so in an effort to spare my little sister from any future problems I told her every single bad word I knew.

I think the bigger deal you make of them, the bigger deal your kids will make of them.

"Summon your eagle powers!"

Peterson Family said...

That is hilarious!!

Hunter used to mispronounce the word 'truck' and instead said the F-word (age 2 1/2)... So funny!! It was so hard not to laugh, luckily he didn't say it all that much.

Your story about #1 saying it over and over had me laughing OUT LOUD!!

Jacqui said...

My kids have done the rhyming with duck. At least two of them.

Jami said...

Ha Ha Ha. I'm impressed that you held it together! And BTW - How is the potty training going? You inspired me to give it try ONCE AGAIN with Cay. I was down to four diapers and felt that dread of having to fork out the big bucks again. The last two times I have bought the smallest pack possible telling myself that when they run out I was going to potty train again.

The good news is - four days and no pee accidents!!! The bad news -and I mean REALLY bad news is that four days and NO POOP. NONE. The poor girl is in some serious pain today!

That was way more info than you needed but hey if you have any tips let me know.

JLJ said...

Potty training has been great. Don't know why, but it's been the simplest of the three - thank goodness. On day 4 she informed me in the middle of Target that she had to "toilet" so we hurried to the front. I was expecting trepidation for having to use such a huge and scary public toilet, but she surprised me by just hopping on and going. Hooray! We had no such luck with #1 and #2 who were both deathly afraid of the public toilet. I hope the 2nd time around does the trick for Caymbree!