Thursday, April 1, 2010

Balboa Beach

So, there are like 200,000 beaches in California. I found this out when I googled "family friendly California beach," while I was planning our vacation. Fortunately, Balboa Beach proved to be everything the internet promised. It was clean, had restrooms, a pier and good parking.

We brought a picnic lunch and made a day out of it.

As soon as we got to the sand #1 and #2 dropped their stuff and sprinted to the water, squealing with excitement. It was their first time in the ocean and it seemed that they never tired of chasing the waves in and out. As I witnessed their unfettered joy my heart swelled with happiness at the perfection of the moment. Definitely in my top ten moments of motherhood.



#3 was more cautious with her introduction to the water. She wanted to go in the water but needed a hand to hold. I was happy to oblige. Soon she gained confidence and ran free with the other two.



Near the end of the day we gathered up the kids (who were very reluctant to leave) to walk down the pier and around the little beach town. We found an ice cream stand where Spouse ordered THE HUGEST shaved ice I have ever seen. Seriously, it was at least 3 pounds. The picture below is after half of it was eaten. I tried a local specialty, the Balboa Bar. A bar of vanilla ice cream dipped in dark chocolate and rolled in chopped nuts. So good!






On our way back to the jeep we stopped by one of the open air shops for the kids to pick out some shells to bring home. It was evening and the shadows were fading into dusk. We were all exhausted, happy tired and only a little sunburned.

Happy days.

5 comments:

DKAZ said...

Love Balboa Beach! This looks like so much fun...what a great little summer vacay.

Emily said...

Your trip looked fabulous..even if it was only a couple days long. I totally know the nostalgic feeling of Disneyland, I'm pretty sure I look just like #1 when I get my first glimpse of the park..still to this day! :) I miss the beach!

Erin said...

Dont you love the beach! There is something that draws you to it, its one of my favorite places to visit. I am so glad that you guys had such a nice trip!

Peterson Family said...

Disneyland and the beach... I am totally jealous! We are going in July and I can hardly wait. I will look like a whale at the beach, but at this point I soooo don't mind! The thought of the summer heat while pregnant makes me CRAVE California!

I am SOOOO glad that you had such an awesome trip. Don't worry... we always picniced outside the park growing up! That's what coolers are for! :)

MJ said...

I'm glad you worked it out to go. In the future, I doubt the kids will ever remember that you only stayed for 2 days. Way to pull off an awesome little vacay. Next time we should plan to meet you there. That would be way fun.