Thursday, April 15, 2010

Two Steps Forward One Step Back

.... on the technology spectrum.

Forward: I got a cell phone! You read it correctly, dear readers. I am now in possession of my (1st) very own cell phone! A few of you may have received an excited text or two. (or twenty!) Texting is hard. (but fun!) And as it became apparent in a recent sacrament meeting talk, saying 'texting' too many times begins to sound like a different word all together. But how to do you decide on a ring tone?

Back: Solar oven! What could be better than cooking your dinner under the natural heat and energy of the glorious, free sun? (Maybe cooking it in a WOLF 60" dual fuel range) It is amazing to me that a little black box with a clear lid can cook a roast, bake a cake and steam rice. I'm saying goodbye to my Whirlpool gas range for the summer and hello to my new solar oven.

Thank you Dad for both. Now, I'm going out back to check on my pot roast.

11 comments:

Jacqui said...

Wow! I'd love to see a pic of your solar oven. Luck you to be sweating it in the desert and cooking it in the backyard for free! You could probably cook your eggs in a frying pan on the sidewalk come July. I am impressed. You'll have to post your solar oven adventures.

You'll love your cell and wonder how you ever lived without it. Pretty soon you'll be texting under the kitchen table with the best of the 16-year-olds.

Audrey said...

And let us pay proper respect to Skat Cat for the title of this blog.

Sweating in the endless heat said...

How did your meal turn out tonight?? So happy for you, with both of the things:-)

Evelyn said...

We were just commenting to each other tonight on the irony of you acquiring both a cell phone and solar oven at the same time. Hope the pot roast turned out well!

Erin A said...

Great news!

I'd also love to see a picture of the oven in action. We have a solar oven that takes a huge amount of space in our garage. I've never thought to use it permanently over the summer though--it's one of those just in case kind of things. Can't wait to hear how it goes...

DKAZ said...

Both things are surprisingly perfect gifts from your dear old dad...when you are on your trek back up to logan to join him in the family compound, you will need to call him and let him know your whereabouts. Then once you get there, since we will have no power your solar oven will help feed the families.

M said...

My ringtone = Adam Lambert's "What Do You Want from Me" = so cool. How cool about the solar oven!

Unknown said...

Yay! Now I don't have to call someone else's cell phone to get a hold of you at the park!

Erin A said...

I was just thinking.....you made POT ROAST?!?!

Jami said...

Say it ain't so!! I took great pride in bragging about my "friend who doesn't have a cell phone."

Ok I am kidding. Welcome to the wonderful world of "never leave home without it."

Let's text. Soon.

Erin said...

I loved getting to see you at the store last week. :)