Tuesday, January 18, 2011

family updates and stuff

Between December 22 and now Spouse has worked a total of 5 days. Most of that time off was planned vacation time. What we didn't plan on was pneumonia visiting our house and attacking our breadwinner. I am happy to report that although his violent coughing keeps me up at night, the worst is over and he is back at work.

After #1 and #2 left for school the house seemed very quiet and empty and I realized how much I had enjoyed having Spouse at home (even though he was too sick to be any fun).

Now Spouse has contracted a different kind of bug. The Harry Potter bug! The past couple of months I've been enjoying the Harry Potter series for the first time and now it looks like Spouse is addicted too!

The good thing about reading these books 10 years behind schedule is that I can just read them one after another without having to wait a year between publications. The bad part is that I feel like I came to the party after the pinata has already been cracked; the cultural excitement has all but died out.

I've been doing an OK job at my new year's focus (feeling joy). A few days ago I caught myself imagining what it would be like to live in a bigger house. So I decided to try to think how my tiny house is a joy to me.

1) There is a lot less to keep clean.

2) When I tell people I vacuum twice a day, it sounds really impressive. (But it's not. Read: the house is tiny)

3) Everything I need is always within a few paces away. It makes collecting and distributing laundry a cinch.

4) I have enough furniture to fill it.

5) I am forced to keep things organized.

6) Because I know that anything I buy I have to find a place for, I buy less.


See? Not so bad, huh? I bet you're all wishing for a small house now.



Hmmm. What else can I add to this most random post of mine? A picture? Ok, you got it.








5 comments:

Jami said...

Welcome aboard the Harry Potter train! (Even if it is 10 years late). Better late than never. I think I've read all of them at least twice (once when they come out and again before each movie release). Sad to see it all come to an end soon. (Yes I really enjoyed them THAT much).

Sorry hubby has been so sick. Thats the pits! Glad he's feeling better.

birdie said...

so sorry about spouse. that stinks big time :( i haven't caught onto the harry potter craze despite pressure from various friends, family members, and spouse. maybe i'll have to take a gander...

our house is tiny too. makes for a good time, doesn't it!

Julie said...

I started reading Harry Potter, too! I'm on book 5. I started reading them because Sara wanted to read them. I never planned on actually enjoying them!

moomycoz said...

Yes, actually I really would like a smaller house. Your list of positives is very convincing.

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Oh I feel for your hubby. I had pneumonia in the summer when I was 15. More than anything I remember the extreme exhaustion and weakness. I'm glad he's on the mend!

I've only read the HP series once and usually finished each book as fast as I possibly could. After watch the most recent movie and being confused I realized that it's time for a re-reading.

Don't you love the experience of getting caught up in a good book?