Saturday, March 24, 2012

Humble Pie

There's nothing like your kids to keep you humble and grounded, right?

I mean, if I were in danger of having any self respect I'm pretty sure this conversation with #3 brought things right back to where they belong:

{I had just been absent-mindedly listening to her talking about something important like unicorns or flowers or something. Apparently I had been making "listening" sort of comments like, "ok" and "uh huh."}

#3: Why did you say uh oh?

me: I didn't say uh oh?

#3: Yes, you did. You said uh oh.

me: I did? Oh. Well, I'm not sure why I said that.

#3 gives me a patronizing laugh: Mom, sometimes you're not smart.

me: Ha ha. I guess sometimes I'm not smart.

{long pause}

#3: When I'm a mom am I going to be not smart and not cute?


That was a particularly delicious slice of humble pie.


Later that night I recounted the experience to Spouse. He said, "Oh that's nothing." And then he told me about an encounter he'd had with #2 that morning as he was packing his lunch for work. {P.S. Spouse usually takes our left overs but this particular morning there wasn't anything left from the night before.}

#2: Why are packing so many chips and all that cheese?

Spouse: I'm going to make nachos.

#2: For your lunch?

Spouse: Yep.

#2: So, dad? You must like being chubby.



So if you're worried that you're feeling a little too good about yourself just swing by our house. I'm sure my kids will find a way injure that pride.

5 comments:

M said...

I've had my suspicions, but I'm convinced my kids would be really good friends with your kids.

My oldest once told my sister, "you have a big nose, but it looks good on your face."

Katie said...

HAH! This made me literally laugh out loud! Gotta love kids keeping things real, huh?

mandy said...

hilarious---relatedly, i never thought once about my facial mole until it's become a topic of disgust among my children at least weekly for the past year or so.

BigEd said...

Too funny. Good thing you are tough. And cute. And smart.

moomycoz said...

She will always be a source of surprising utterances, and frank assessments of her reality. We will all have to learn to not take ourselves very seriously around her. She is so honest it's funny! But I dispute the "not cute" - where do you think she got her cuteness??