Thursday, May 3, 2012

News on #4

Yesterday my family huddled into my doctor's small exam room.  The children felt strange watching me climb up on the table and tuck my shirt up. They had a million questions for the doctor, "What's that slimy stuff? And why are you putting it on my mom?"  "Where's the camera?" "Is that a t.v.?" 

My patient doctor tried to answer one question before being bombarded with the next one, all the while trying to do the job he was there to do: measure and check up on our #4.  Turning the tables on the children he asked them a question, "Who is hoping this baby is a boy?"  Spouse and Buster raised their hands.  "Who is hoping this baby is a girl?"  #1 and #3 raised their hands.  "Well, it looks like you boys are outnumbered.  It's a girl!"

#1 and #3's faces beamed.  Spouse gave my ankle a squeeze.  I felt content.  Buster's face was red and his lip went up in the funny way it does when he's trying not to cry.  I grabbed his hand and smiled to him.  The tears fell.

The poor boy has been praying for a brother. 

Later when we were alone I talked to Buster about how special he is to our family being our only boy.  I told him that God must know what a kind brother he is to his sisters and this little girl must be in need of a very loving and good brother. 

Today, after sending out a mass text announcing the gender I received many sweet responses.  I was surprised at how many were sensitive to Buster, asking how he was taking the news.  I guess he's not the only kid in the world to have been let down by the wrong kind of baby. 

The best news is that my swollen feet, my aching back and my expanding body haven't been sacrificed in vain. The baby (girl) is healthy (and big!) and beautiful!


22 (and a half!) weeks down, 17-18 to go!



11 comments:

Jacqui said...

McQ and Buster can commiserate. Even though he wishes he had a brother, I think deep down, McQ enjoys being the only boy. He is such a sweet one, too (like Buster). But when he gets around other boys, his true boyishness comes out. I love to see it. And I absolutely adore everything about having a boy--the toys, the clothes, the obsession with ALL sports and Ninjagos. It's a blast. And he gets everything new. Not such a bad gig.

But I am also very glad to have three girls that will someday be my best friends. Lucky you, to have the same blessing.

Unknown said...

Well, one day he'll be glad to know that he's be your only boyfriend. :)
(Spouse not included.)

Unknown said...

"he's be" does not make sense.
He'll be.

Julie said...

Congrats! Let's have another BBQ/swim get together this summer and you can take whatever girl stuff you want!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

So excited for you and your family:-) Sorry that Buster was sad over it:-( He is such a sweetheart!

Audrey said...

I didn't know you were expecting--Congratulations!!! My daughter has three brothers and she's been disappointed every time though she loves her brothers--most of the time. It's hard being the only child in the midst of the other sex. I do wish she had a sister, but the odds are against us at this point and I don't know if I could handle five and keep my sanity.

SRSJ said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys. Lila will definitely be excited to have another girl cousin. Excited to see you guys this summer.

Mama Megs said...

Congrats!!! Please tell Buster that his long lost friend Henderson is in the same boat :)

Jami said...

Oh Jen - I am so excited for your family! Congrats!

BigEd said...

I'm so excited for you! There's always #5 ; )

Levanger Family said...

Congratulations on the impending arrival of #4! We just had our #4 six months ago (a girl also). Our #3 is almost 5 also and I had forgotten all the "baby" stuff. We are excited for you!!!