Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Maternity Update (photo included!)

After one of the church meetings on Sunday a friend leaned over the pew to chat with me. 

"So!  Any day now, huh?  You getting excited for this to be over?"

Me: "I'm not getting excited yet, since I still have eight or nine weeks. I'm not due till the end of August."

Her eyes blinked and widened and the friendly smile sort of melted as her mind tried to visualize my current state PLUS an additional eight or nine weeks of growth. 

"Wow.  Last month I thought you were on the home stretch. That's why I was surprised to see you here again, still pregnant."

This is the #3 reason why I fantacize about home-churching it until the baby comes.  The pain I see in other people's eyes when they look at me is almost as uncomfortable as my heartburn.


{The first two reasons:

#1: It's uncomfortable to sit for three hours. My ankles end up like sausages and my feet look like bear paws. After the meetings I have to limp out to my car.

#2:  I'm running out of properly fitting dresses.  Pretty soon I'm going to have to paint a dress on my ever expanding body. And my shoes have become torture devices.}


I've been trying, with limited success, to not complain when people ask me how I'm doing.  For the record, I feel extremely lucky to have a tiny human growing in me.  I recognize that this isn't an experience that everyone gets to have.  But at the same time I really want to hurt my husband or any other well-intentioned soul that cheerfully suggests, "Just try to enjoy it!"

I'll admit it: I'm a bear. I'm a big, sweaty, cranky mama bear.  Living in the hot, hot desert. 
















9 comments:

Evelyn said...

I love you! I bet you're counting down the days until some cooler Utah relief. Can't wait to see you!

Tara and Brigham said...

I'm sorry you are not feeling well :( But I can't wait to see you guys next week!

Sweating in the endless heat said...

DITTO! I'm with you unfortunately, but at least it sounds like you get to get out of the heat for some time:-) I work in the primary still and the kids every week look more scared of my growing belly;-) Hang in there!

Delaps said...

This really made me laugh! I love the picture too. I am only 20 weeks and I feel huge. Good luck with your last 8 weeks.

DKAZ said...

Hang in there...so glad you get to head up North! There are many times I've wished for home church!

Unknown said...

Oh, come on, you know your teeth aren't really that sharp. :)

BigEd said...

The picture cracked me up! I hope your drive goes well. I was 8 months prego when we drove from Portland to Tucson, and I had a complete meltdown. Maybe we will bump into you while you are in town. Good luck with the next 8 weeks!

Audrey said...

What a tease--I wanted to see the picture of you pregnant! I'm sorry for the discomfort. Please tell me you are taking something. The heartburn with each pregnancy about did me in.

Katie said...

I HATE those last weeks of pregnancy...good luck surviving them!