Saturday, August 4, 2012

Home Again

It's good to be home from my summer sabbatical to Utah.  Wait. Truthfully, it's actually kind of painful.  I love being with my family and in the midst of the green and cooler temperatures.  And it doesn't help that I come home at the peak of the worst season in AZ.  And it doesn't help that I'm 9 months pregnant and an icy cold Diet Coke is still 3 weeks away.  But let's focus on the positive here! 

Being in Utah for a month was just what the doctor ordered for my swelling, slowing self. My kids were entertained by cousins, green parks, reunions, trampolines, sprinklers and Aggie Ice Cream. I didn't cook dinner for a month (thanks Mom!) and barely kept up with our laundry.  At least twice daily someone was telling me to go lay down.  Well, if you insist.  My energy levels were up  and my swelling went down.  It was heaven.

Our journeys began on July 2nd. My good parents met me and my brood in Kanab to help me drive the rest of the way.  In fact, after Kanab I didn't drive at all!  My dad had brought pillows and helped arrange me comfortably in the passenger side of his car and my mom took over the wheel of the Jeep.  I was spoiled! 

We spent the first few days in Provo, where two of my sisters live, so we could celebrate the 4th of July together. Brother Brig and his wife also joined us for some of the festivities.

After grabbing some ice cream at the Cougar Creamery we headed up Provo Canyon to enjoy the beauty and ice cold waters at Bridal Veil Falls. 



 

In the afternoon my sister invited us all over for a BBQ.  She had set up her Slip 'n Slide for the kids to enjoy, but somehow the hose became unattached and this giant mud/sand pit was born. It all rinsed off and they loved it.





The next morning we woke up bright and early to get good seats at the famous Provo 4th of July parade.  It's been years since I've been and it definitely did not disappoint.  There were marching bands and floats from every nearby community with their local beauty royalty perched a top.  Buster especially loved the tanks and WWII vehicles and the Civil and Revolutionary war reenactments.






We enjoyed a picnic lunch and after some afternoon naps it was time to stake our claim on the hill at Rock Canyon Park for a good view of the fire works.  My sister brought supplies for ice blocking, which ended up being a fantastic idea since the fireworks didn't start until nearly 10:30 pm.


We didn't arrive in Logan until the evening of the 5th. Coming around the final bend of Sardine Canyon to behold the green and quaint valley is one of my favorite moments every year.  I'm always flooded with nostalgia and gratitude for its beauty. 

I will try not to overwhelm you, dear readers, with every detail and every picture of my lovely month.  In fact, let's see if I can recount my experiences in three posts, or less.  There are, after all, other things on the horizon (#3's first day of Kindergarten and the impending arrival of #4) that will need our attention soon.


2 comments:

Tara and Brigham said...

Loved having you guys here! It's always so sad when everyone leaves! I just keep telling Brig its our turn to come and see you guys again ;)

mandy said...

i propose next year a half summer in utah and a half summer in the exotic locale of omaha, ne!! miss ya!