Monday, February 11, 2013


About a week before Buster turned 8 we were talking about his baptism, in particular about testimony.  I asked him, "Do you have a testimony?" Buster answered, "Yep, I do.  I believe in God and Jesus Christ and I also believe that I'm old enough to have my own gun." 

If I could capture Buster's essence in a bottle I could sell it to the world and make millions. It would be a happy mix of true joy blended with innocence, earnestness, energy and humor.  Side effects may include an insatiable appetite and the risk of being hurt because you want to love and be loved with all your heart.  Fortunately, this essence would grant you a most forgiving heart and your capacity for love will grow bigger.

Ahh, my Buster.  My one son.

Did I tell you how on Christmas morning he came out to find that Santa had left him a basketball?  He was thrilled.  Thrilled!  He shouted, "A basketball! A basketball!" holding it high in the air as if it were the greatest prize.  He was equally enthusiastic for his sisters and their gifts from Santa.  "I can't believe you got a bike! A BIKE!!! Yes!" "No way!?!  A robot!"  It wasn't until he had gone through his stocking that he ripped the basketball out of its packaging and started dribbling it towards the front door.  Suddenly he stopped, looked up and gasped for air.  Santa had also left him a basketball standard, all set up inside the house.  It was quiet for a moment while he processed that this was for him. First there was disbelief: he fell to his knees, covering his face with his hands.  Then absolute pleasure: happiness and surprise expressed through shrieks and screams, running up and down the hall, dancing and leaping, laughing! 

One of my favorite moments of parenthood. 

The night before his birthday when I tucked him into bed I held him a little longer.  "I just love you so much Buster and I can't believe you're going to be eight tomorrow."

"I know why you're sad mom. Because I'm going to be in Cub Scouts now and then I'm going to be in Boy Scouts and then I'm going to be old enough to have my own gun."

Yep.  That's exactly why I'm sad and so very happy.

Buster with his best buddies


It's air soft. And he got safety glasses, so there will be no eyes shot out here.

First den meeting!  This may be the only shirt he hangs up without me asking.

7 comments:

Tara and Brigham said...

That boy cracks me up! Can't wait to see you guys! :)

Unknown said...

Gulp. He is such a handsome boy. But sometimes I miss our babies. :)

Sweating in the endless heat said...

This post made my heart so happy! Jl, you are such an amazing mother:-)

Jacqui said...

I absolutely love this post. As the mom of a boy with an eerily similar nature, I am in love. His logic is fabulous.

Evelyn said...

"I also believe that I'm old enough to have my own gun." Michael is so very very proud of his nephew. What a sweet boy. Love that Buster.

JulieAnn Barrus said...

Oh Jenn. I just love him so much. What a sweetheart. And what a wonderful mother you are! I love the way you expressed your admiration for your baby boy. It was perfect:). I miss you guys so much!

moomycoz said...

As you can see, I am reading this blog way late in the game. But I can't help putting in my two cents. The Buster is one of a kind and just thinking about his enthusiasm makes me smile. He has a BIG spirit.