Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bob Dylan singing Christmas?

I'm not the only one with low tolerance for certain "Christmas" songs. We had the local all-Christmas-all-the-time station on in the car (Dee-Lie-Lah, could you be any more annoying?) when the overly played, slow drumming beat began. From the second row #2 yells out, "Drummer Boy again? I hate this song!" It may have something to do with the disturbing, stop motion movie from the the '60's called "Little Drummer Boy" that he had recently viewed. I guess I'm a spoiled Pixar sort of girl now, but those clay-mation figures lurching around are something out of a nightmare! It's no wonder he dislikes that song.

Since my last post several friends have confessed to disliking other apparently popular Christmas music: "Last Christmas" by Wham and "Feed the World" with U2 were mentioned in the comments. "Christmas Shoes" is hated by another friend of mine ("met my old lover at the grocery store..."). I usually flip the station before it gets further than that but once I was forced to endure the entire song while I was shopping, you got it, at the grocery store. I'm still trying to recover. And then there is that horrible song that starts with John Lennon and Yoko Ono whispering "happy Christmas" to each other in bedroom voices. My mind automatically recalls that album cover where they are standing naked next to each other and then I feel like I'm listening in on their intimacies. Yuk.

I've been playing Andrea Boccelli's new Christmas cd a lot lately. I really like the mix of the playfulness of some of the songs with his classical, mellow voice. And I think "The Lord's Prayer" with the MoTab is one of the most beautiful interpretations of that song. But #2 cannot get enough of his "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." He has listened to it over and over. For Nana, Grandma and anyone else in love with #2 enough please enjoy his 50 second cover of Andrea Boccelli's cover of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. For the rest of you, please indulge me and give me a laugh today by adding to our most hated Christmas song list. Or if you think this effort is too scroogey, then tell me your favorites.


8 comments:

mandy said...

i'm not sure if you know that i'm famous for lounge singing 'happy holidays' all year long!

M said...

Well, I'm not grandma, but I thought that was pretty awesome.

I HATE Alvin and the Chipmunks. Unfortunately, my oldest loves the movie and wants to watch it all the time. I told him their voices annoy me, but he said, "Oh, they annoyed me at first too, but you'll get used to them."

It hasn't happened yet...

Jacqui said...

Ha! Hate that "met my old lover song." It's horrible! Just because it mentions Christmas Eve does not make it a Christmas song. Sheesh. Hate hate hate. (Lol) Feliz Navidad by the Three Tenors. Some things should just not be attempted in serious opera voices.

I am a softy for the old Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, etc. songs. Other faves are John Tesh A Family Christmas. Awesome. For more upbeat songs, my kids and I appreciate Brian Setzer and my new fave this year is the new David Archuletta album. It's REALLY good.

Over and out.

Unknown said...

Alright, I already thought I loved your #2, but this seals the deal for sure. By the way, call me a Grinch, but Amy Grant's "My Grown-Up Christmas List" royally gets on my nerves.

MJ said...

Every time I hear Delilah I think of Marie Osmond.

#2 is so sweet. I love that he hates "Little Drummer Boy".

Shan said...

"So this is Christmas..." can't stand it.

"Simply having a wonderful Christmastime"

"Christmastime is here" You know, the charlie brown christmas song, sung by a bunch of little boys who are always just a little flat of the higher notes...drives me crazy.

moomycoz said...

Encore! He must really like it to be willing to let the public in on his performance. I think that song may now be my favorite. As far as least favorites - any Christmas song by any Beatle.

moomycoz said...

Actually, I should have mentioned the Bob Dylan Christmas CD. No, no no - please don't do that to Christmas.