Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I've Got My Work Cut Out For Me

I spent some time with #1 on Saturday Christmas shopping. I love getting #1 all to myself. She is interesting, makes jokes, discusses heavy topics, and never, ever minces words. Most of the time I appreciate this quality about her, I like honest directness. But as you can imagine, speaking her mind has gotten her into trouble. I'm trying to teach her a balance of being both sensitive and honest.

So back to my story. While Christmas shopping several things were revealed to me:

1) #1 is Catholic. Apparently she's been telling her friends at school she is Catholic. Note to self: emergency FHE!!!!

2) She knows the word sexy. Yikes! #1 was in the dressing stall with me while I tired on some clothes at the Banana Republic outlet (the entire store was 50% off!). I zipped up a pair of pants and #1 said, "Sexy, mom." I didn't want to react too much so I asked her if she knew what sexy meant. "It means pretty." "Ok," I explained, "it means a little bit more than pretty and I think you should avoid saying it." "Can I say it just one more time?" "Fine." "Sexy pants, mom. I like those sexy, sexy pants. They are sexy." "That was more than once." "What? You're the one being sexy."

3) #1 really loves me. For my birthday she gave me the gift of "being nice to #2 from now on." Last night she snuggled in my lap and gave me a big hug then whispered something in my ear. "I'm changing my birthday present to you to kisses and hugs every day. The other present was too hard."

So you can see, I've got my work cut out for me.

8 comments:

Shawna said...

She's hilarious. She's also a very sweet kid.
You might have your work cut out for you but you're also doing a great job!

Katie said...

#1 is great! Seems to me like you're doing a pretty dang good job with her! I love time with my #1 - what a fun age 7 is!

Erin said...

Love that story! I think you handled that situation very well. At least this time she didnt tell you that you looked like a letter "b" :)

Jami said...

That is seriously the best. It made my whole day. I LOVE the things that kids say (especially when it's OTHER people's kids). he he.

DKAZ said...

Love it! Smart girl to put this all back on your shoulders-or should I say legs.

birdie said...

ha! like mother like daughter :) both clever, witty, and a bit sly!

hope everyone at your house is peachy and well. your thanksgiving feast makes me drool - how do you do that? seriously. makes all us other moms look bad (or at least this mom - whose definition of home made means anything made at home - including heating up premade food)

MJ said...

You are so "pretty". I hope you bought some "pretty" pants. :)

That was sure nice of #1 to change her gift to you to better suit what she knew could be accomplished. Nice!

I think I will be worried when it's #2 calling you sexy.

moomycoz said...

It's stories like that that make me really sad I'm so far away. They are so typical #1 - as her Papa would say, she's a corker!