Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Desert Garden Report


Manure was spread and seeds were planted. I think. The kids did the work, while I tried to direct the operation. In true form, #1 was the garden expert and didn't need to be told what to do. I figured since I don't know what the heck I'm doing I might as well let her do things her way.

We sowed (I think) some vegetables and some flowers.

Last night I left #1 reading on the couch while I put #2 and #3 to bed. When I came out 10 minutes later the couch was empty. "#1?" I called out. The glass door to the backyard slid open and #1 came inside, wiping her feet. "I was saying good night to the garden. I told it to try and grow some tonight."

This morning at first light, #1 bolted from her bed and out to the garden to see if anything had appeared. Nope. But hope is still high.

Immediately after school the children raced out back to water. They were disappointed not to find any green heads pushing through the brown manure mixed dirt. But they are still out there playing, staying near their precious garden.

Who needs a puppy? Apparently a bit of cow poop, some seeds and a watering can are just as exciting.

2 comments:

Erin A said...

I once had an enrichment activity where the guest speaker told us that food that is prepared lovingly is more nutrious than food that is not prepared with love (no joke...yet another one of my NJ experiences)

No doubt by the time harvest comes around your vegetables will be bursting with nutrition. And your kids might even eat them!

My husbands wants to get chickens!

Peterson Family said...

I have yet to attempt a garden here in AZ... and I have lived here since I was 5. Sad I know. But I do know it can be done!! Good luck to you! I bet you have more of a 'green thumb' than I do... my house plants are all plastic for a reason. haha