Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The long weekend

How was your long weekend? Was it wonderful? Last night as Spouse and I lay on our bed exhausted he said, "I wish I had every Monday off." I do too. Spouse was especially heroic this weekend.

When I returned from my Saturday morning run at 6:30, he was dressed and finishing off a healthy bowl of Trix (I know! I tell him all the time that Trix are for kids!) And then he was out the door, on his way to a side job to earn himself some extra cash for his gun accessories

He warned me the job might take up to four hours. But the four hours turned into six hours as my Saturday became just another day at home with the kids. I wasn't exactly pleased. After house cleaning I rebelled and let the kids make a huge mess of the house while I watched the first three episodes of Vanity Fair (1998 BBC version). That afternoon when Spouse finally came through the door I had reached my limit, I needed to be ALONE!

Spouse understood. He loaded the kids into the jeep and took them to the railroad park that was having a Labor Day special, one ticket rides! The kids got out of the house, had fun, got hot and sweaty and I got a few hours all to myself. What did I do? I watched the remaining 3 episodes of Vanity Fair. So it really wasn't such a bad Saturday after all. Six hours of BBC, I can't complain.







Monday morning Spouse drove the whole family up north to the Tonto Natural Bridge State Park. We brought a picnic lunch and then hit the trails for some great, kid friendly hikes. Spouse took #1 and #2 bouldering down at the bottom of the ravine so they could get inside the bridge. The day was beautiful and it was refreshing to get out of the hot city, and
see a green and cooler part of Arizona.

Here is a really nerdy looking picture of me, but it is the only one we had that captured the bridge.
The blue tongue is from the disgusting patriotic themed cupcakes my kids begged for at the grocery store.


What about you?




3 comments:

Julie said...

I did not pass out, but it was no vacation here. We spent the whole weekend texturing the walls that I finally got the wallpaper off of. David decided not to cover anything up so I spent HOURS cleaning up texture off of doors, door frames, benches, mirrors, sinks, and base boards! To make it worse, I also had to clean all the dust off of everything on the first floor from him sanding the walls before he textured them! I need a vacation!

Audrey said...

So, we cleaned and weeded on Saturday because I had plans to get a pedicure--my first in my whole life--on Monday. HOWEVER, my husband's conscience kicked in on Sunday afternoon and he started freaking out about some depositions he hadn't finished yet, so he left on Monday at 5 am and didn't return home until 5:15 pm. And as for today--he left at 5 again and it's 8:38 pm and he's still not home.
In other words, Labor Day at our house was exactly that LABOR DAY.

Peterson Family said...

Well, I sort of passed out... more from life. I awoke with a nasty sinus head cold and basically laid on the couch watching the Foodnetwork all day while Mark decided to hang more wainscoting up our staircase. Really a two person job that became one. Poor guy. But he completed it, and now I just need to caulk and he'll paint and it's DONE. The boys went to Mom and Dad's to swim and play video games all afternoon, so at least everyone but me had a productive day! :)