Tuesday, October 16, 2007

#1 wishes she was me

Tonight while we were walking home from #1's singing group rehearsal, #1 totally ate dirt (granite rock, to be exact) when she tripped over a low bush.  When we got home and examined it in the light we discovered quite a chunk missing from her elbow and a few other fairly deep wounds.  She was dripping blood and was very upset. I cleaned her up and calmed her down, feeling very satisfied in my current role of comforter and healer, one of my favorite but rare roles.

Later while we ate dinner she said to me "Sometimes I wish I were you, Mom."  Considering this a good thing, but only half-heartedly trying to deflect the compliment I said something like, "Why would you want to be me?" I totally expected her to reply with some sweet sentiment regarding my nurturing spirit, or mothering abilities.  Her practical answer was "If I were you, then you'd be me and you would have been the one to fall."  Nice.


8 comments:

KJ said...

That is funny. #1 makes me laugh.

MegaPPod said...

Hysterical. Nothing like a child to make you feel fantastic and incompetent in the same moment.

Megan said...

That is hilarious. Where do kids come up with this. oh to know how their brains work sometimes

daisy said...

I love it!

birdie said...

She is so smart and funny! We love teaching her on Sunday because she always has classic lillyisms.

Jami said...

Seriously, there is nothing better than hearing things straight from the mouth of babes. She is a crack up!

Cygnus said...

Hey, who *doesn't* wish they were you!

That is cute though.

happy mom said...

I guess she wasn't on your deep level at the moment. too funny.