Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tempe Family Fun Run


This morning #1 ran her first race. It was a one mile fun-run along the pathway next to the Tempe Town Lake. I told her that she could rest and walk as much as she wanted but the desire to win was too great for my four year old. She was so matter-of-fact explaining to me, "If I walk, I won't win." How did she get so competitive? After the race, I discovered that the one mile run wasn't timed or placed, but #1 was so determined to have won that I thought it would be harmless to just placate her and tell that yes, she was winner of the 4 year olds. I hate telling lies to my kids, of any kind. If its a sticky situation, I'll try to answer creatively. Like, "Where does Santa live?" I would say, "People say he lives in the North Pole." I know technically it isn't totally honest because I'm not correcting a false assumption, but I feel a little better than just totally going along with the myth. So my telling #1 today that she won was a difficult decision but I felt like she deserved that satisfaction after trudging a mile.
It didn't take long for me to regret it. Little did I know she was a trash talker. As our family waited at the cross-walk next to another family that had kids who were wearing the racing numbers, #1 said in a really loud voice, "I'm so glad I won that race and beat all the other kids." She totally intended for the other kids to hear it. That wasn't the end of it. She insisted having her picture taken with another little girl, so the other little girl could have a picture with the winner. How many times this morning has #1 mentioned she is the winner? Maybe 43.
----------------------------------------




I wanted to post this picture of #3 because I love that her hands are blurry because she was flailing so quickly. Sometimes at night I'll put her in bed with me and until she calms down, my face is beaten by those convulsing limbs.

7 comments:

MJ said...

That's pretty good! It looks like Ava is in the process of disappearing and you took the picture right before she was gone.

Jami said...

I love it! Gotta start 'em young hey? She will be running a marathon by the time she hits 1st grade! Tell her congratulations for winning! :)

daisy said...

#1, #2, and #3 are adorable!

Megan said...

did you get her a trophy? it isn't believable unless you get her a trophy. If you are going to lie to her you want it to be believable.
I wonder where she learned to talk smack? certainly not her mom.

happy mom said...

until that picture, I had forgotten that you have #3. glad to see a photo of the cutie! and I will be better to remember all your cute little kids.

Peterson Family said...

Look at your sweet girls!! I love to read your posts, you always make me laugh. :) GO #1... that is awesome!! I love that she's talking smack to everyone... that is HILARIOUS!

DKAZ said...

We need more cowbell! You haven't blogged for a week. Not, that I don't like reading about Lil's first place win over and over, but I KNOW when you have three that something "FUN" is bound to happen.