Saturday, October 27, 2007

trunk 'r treat*

#3 is dressed up as a baby, I'm dressed as a frumpy mom


Tonight the costumes were donned; #1 and #2 turned into Tinkerbell and Peter Pan and we crashed our ward trunk 'r treat* Halloween party. I say "crashed" because #2 ran around topless for at least half of the activity, and #1 got high from the sugar on the cake-walk cupcakes.

AZ is one of the few places where you find water games at a Halloween Party

Does there come a time when you are too old to trick or treat? I've always thought so. I could never shamelessly approach another adult in earnest and "trick or treat." However, this personal value is NOT universal. First you have your unabashed adult trick or treater, who is genuinely clueless to the fact that he/she should not be begging for candy. The other type of adult trick or treater is one who actually knows he/she is too old, but craves the fun-sized candy-bars so badly that they are willing to pretend that their 3 month old baby cares about getting candy at Halloween. These are the worst offenders.

Almost as bad as the adult trick or treater, is the adult costume dresser. Why, oh why would a grown woman dress up in a Halloween costume for work, or worse to go to the grocery store? It's not cute. IT'S WEIRD! So to all of you freaks out there that are considering crossing the adult appropriateness-for-Halloween line....DON'T DO IT!

*Trunk or Treat is the safe alternative to Trick or Treating. A ton of people back their cars up creating a path, open their trunks, (usually decorated trunk) and kids (and apparently some misfit adults) go from trunk to trunk trick or treating.

9 comments:

daisy said...

Cute pictures!
Yes, I definitely have less respect for the parent with ONLY a baby trick or treating. Although I would have to say if I was REALLY hard up for some yummy chocolate treats....would I?

Cygnus said...

What?! Where's your halloween spirit?! Dressing up for halloween is definitely *not* just for kids. For example, take my office--particularly, my team. The four girls on are going to be pirates: a prissy pirate, an old pirate, a serving wench pirate, and a manly pirate. Guess what they said I "have" to be: the designated parrot. You know . . . because I all I do is squawk at them all day? ;) And, really . . . what pirate group is complete without a parrot anyway?

But that's just for our office party. Dressing up and trick or treating with a newborn just so you can stash some freebies away is beyond pathetic. My philosophy is this: save your dignity; buy an oversized bag of candy at your local grocery haunt, and e done with it. Quit demeaning adults around the world!

KJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KJ said...

I like Spouse's bug eyes in the water picture. Can't wait to see you and Spouse in a few weeks.

DKAZ said...

Looks like fun! I think this year I'll dress up as an underweight sumo wresstler...at least I'm underweight in one category! I don't think I've seen a cuter Peter Pan. Lil's video is so cute! Quinn is loving it...glad the nose was ok. I wasn't expecting that at all and so when it bonked her I laughed so hard.

happy mom said...

there must be more weirdo's down there, I haven't seen a 3 month old (weird parent)trick or treat, although if sam would have been born in July you better bet I would have taken him. I would have to show off my boy! and I have tried turning down candy for my girls, but people push it on you, last year when I took Sam around and the girls were with us, people kept saying "heres some for your sisters". These weird adults are possibly being enabled by us! So I guess we know where and how to stop the process. :)

Sorry about the rambling, I guess you did ask right?

The kids are so cute, and wow, water games at halloween.

(Not a frumpy mom!)

Megan said...

I am planning to dress up like a backyardigan and get all of Olivia's dolls put them in a quad stroller and take them trick or treating. Also I plan to go to wal*mart, target and out to eat in my costume. does that make me weird? no! it makes me my kids favorite parent with a lot of candy!
Ps I am joking (i felt I needed to add that for everyones benefit)

Evecall said...

You are one of those weird people that turn off your lights and leave a sign that says it is against your religion to give out candy on an evil holiday aren't you? Come on, costumes are the only fun left in the adult world!! Would I wear one in public probably not, and yes I am pretty sure that I took Lauren trick or treating when she was barely a year old, and I probably ate all her candy. What's new? I still do that!

Jami said...

Wow - I sense a little bitterness towards those of us who have a candy addiction and are willing to stoop to any level to get free candy! Actually, I think this year I will just implement the mommy tax on my childrens candy and save myself the effort :)