Saturday, February 9, 2008

Estrella Ranch 5K

Today is a quintessential Arizona February day. 72 degrees, sunny and clear. Perfect for a 5k.

We (me and two friends) entered Estrella Ranch with our jaws hanging open. The sun was just rising and casting long shadows upon the saguaros and mesquite trees. We crossed the Salt River. It was full of water and life on its shores, including a tall white crane. The hills were green after all the rain we had last week. Arizona never seemed beautiful until that moment.

The race started at 9:15. We followed a path around a small lake, and then up a trail to the base of a small foothill. We crossed a few dry wash beds, with deep soft sand. Then back down the hill and around the lake to the finish line. It was a small race, so each person's name was called out as they crossed the line. I could hear my family cheering. It was over and I met my goal time.

Unlimited bananas, apples, pears and navel oranges were offered as well as balloons, face painting, and 3 huge inflatable obstacle courses for the kids. We stayed for an hour post race, making our cheeks pink from the sun.

Now our house is full of exhaustion, the good kind.


10 comments:

daisy said...

Sounds like you're ready for the St. George Marathon. Great scenery, they also yell out everyone's name as they finish, and just a few more miles than the 5K. Come and visit us when you do.

BigEd said...

Congratulations! You look great! Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I could get that motivated.

BigEd said...

Congratulations! You look great and it sounds like you had a great time. If only I could get so motivated.

birdie said...

you guys look fabulous! You three are my inspiration to get off my buns and lose those last prego pounds.

I'm sorry I missed it - count me in on the next one (or the next one... or the next...)

DKAZ said...

Good for you! Isn't it funny how a little rain can liven things up out there-especially right there next to the mountain and riverbed. It looks like fun!

MJ said...

I'm glad it went better than the last race.

Peterson Family said...

Good for you JL!! You look so great and it sounds like you three really enjoyed yourselves. Yes AZ is quite 'beautiful' in the winter time when you can enjoy the scenery instead of sweating and rushing to get INSIDE of ANYWHERE with A/C!! :) You're my inspiration too!

Peterson Family said...

My comment never posted... you look great JL!! Glad that you gals had a great time... Mark is going to start training for the St. George marathon, are you going to do it too?! I don't think I could run that much, WOW, my hats off to those of you who can!!

Audrey said...

Good for you. I haven't run in soooo long. I'm only a treadmill runner. I don't pace myself well enough to be unleashed in the wild.

Megan said...

way to go!
It does look absoluely beautiful there. What a perfect day/place for a run!