Friday, February 22, 2008

It's Always Fun When Nana Comes (& Papa Too)

I've heard many Arizona Transplants casually bemoan the frequent visits they are always receiving from their families. We do not complain in this house because our visitors are few and far between. So when visitors do come it's a big deal. Last week we were pleased to welcome my parents for five days.

My poor Dad, just recovering from surgery for a ruptured disk in his neck, was in no shape for rough-housing with kids or tromping all over the valley for shopping or other fun. But he was a good sport and probably did much more than he should have.

I love having my mom here. Spouse put it this way, "When your mom is here, it's like having two of you around." Meaning that she somehow instinctively knows what needs to be done next; starting dinner, getting kids dressed, folding laundry....whatever. Besides the practical help, she is a great walking partner in the mornings.

For some reason my parents have allowed themselves to think that I'm a good parent and a good person, much better than I really am. This makes me want to be better, try harder and be the good woman they've mistaken that I am. This is probably what I value most about their visits: wanting to be better.

Not wasting any precious time with her Nana, #1 sat in the bathroom while Nana got ready (and begged to put on her make up)

Here is my mom trying to play a game on the Wii. Notice #1's face, "You are so bad at this Nana."






4 comments:

Katie said...

Looks like tons of fun! I bet you loved having them - and your kids were in heaven I'm sure. I hope your dad is doing better.

MegaPPod said...

Oh, I love your parents. I totally concur with you on having your mom around. Nothing quite compares, at least once you have kids. And, I'm sure you are a much better mom than you are giving yourself credit for. You can thank Becky and then give yourself a pat on the back.

Cygnus said...

Ahh, my aunt and uncle! *sigh* I love them! They're awesome people. I've always judged them to be good judges of character; they seem to like me, so hey . . . they MUST have a good sense for that, right?

That being the case, I wouldn't be so quick to sell yourself short. I'm going to make some assertions here, based on just this blog:

1. Your parents didn't raise no fool. You know the power of prayer! It helped #2 with school, right?

2. You hid in the bushes to make sure he was okay. Come on. That's not just a good parent; that's a fantastic parent!

3. This isn't so much an assertion as it is a statement of fact: you come from some of the same genetic material as I do; therefore, you have to have quite a bit of good in you.

That is all. Chin up, girl! :)

Jacqui said...

Very sweet post. Aren't moms the best? Mine is exactly the same way. Just sees a need and fills it. Love that. Hope to be that someday.