Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Things that make me smile about Utah

Having just returned from our little Easter excursion up north, these things are fresh on my mind. Here are 9 things that make me smile (either ironically or genuinely pleased) about Utah.

1. All the counter help speaks English (understandable English)

2. My relative age goes up by about 7 years thanks to the plethora of 21 year old girls walking around with 2 kids

3. Cafe Rios and Bajio Grills on every corner

4. Overhearing words like Prophet, calling, and bishop used casually and frequently in public

5. Taking a walk around the block with my parents and still knowing 90% of the people I see

6. Everything is kid friendly - every restaurant has high chairs; even the airport has play areas

7. You can walk into anyone's house or open any car at anytime because no one locks up

8. Haircuts and trouser styles that are so out of date they actually are starting to look fashionable again

9. At 5,000 feet above sea level, an out of towner has little hope of running without her lungs burning up into tiny bits of oxygen deprived pain.

This list was supposed to reach 10, but due to my post-vacation mind numbing, I have to stop at 9. Help me finish this list and leave a comment with your favorite Utahism.

My faithful readers, never fear. There will be more posting concerning this aforementioned trip including pictures and anecdotal information. Stay tuned while I catch up on laundry.

7 comments:

daisy said...

If you live where I live (southern UTAH...that means south of Cedar City) you would see moms wearing their park (playground) get-up. Which includes: full blown make-up, perfect hair (just stepped out of a salon perfect), maybe jeans but with high-heels, and most likely a boob job. Except of course if I'm there....hopefully I took a shower that day.

Katie said...

Oh, come on now. . . we're not THAT out of style with our haircuts and pants are we???

Audrey said...

Oh, I don't know if it's warm enough there yet, but Utah has beautiful trees and greenness everywhere that we never fully experience here. I especially love the trees in Provo.

MJ said...

How about that BYU fans think UTAH fans are apostatizing by cheering against the church-owned school. I get this all the time:
"You're a Ute fan?"
"Yup."
"And you're an active Mormon?"
"Yup."

The worst is when my 10 yr old scouts lecture me on not being a BYU fan.

Peterson Family said...

There are a few favorite of mine.

- Public parks with GRASS and TREES everywhere

- Gorgeous Mountains

- Easy freeway access

- The home of green jell-o and classic funeral potato's.

- Getting a snow cone from the Rainbow snow on the side of the road, when I was little.

- Summertime: HOT in the sun but COOL in the shade. I would give my left leg for the temp. at night even during the summer, here in AZ.

Peterson Family said...

I meant to say, 'COMPARED' to AZ.

:)

DKAZ said...

I like that you don't have to see the bat wings (backs of old women's arms), because most old women are wearing shirts with sleeves or saggy cleavage.

When I go to BYU that every single girl looks, smells, acts exactly the same and is really smiley.

That BYU fans give Utah fans heck!