Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The BEAT of Arizona

Something strange is going on with my kids, particularly #3.  They are into Hip Hop/Pop music.  How this happened, I'm not sure. All I know is that when we are in the car and everyone is going crazy, screaming, fighting, crying, uncontrollable emotions, the only thing that will create absolute peace is 92.7, The Beat.  The deep bass of Rihanna or the melodic syncopation of Mariah calms the waters the way Raffi, Susie Tallman or Sesame Street apparently can't.  Although it is empowering knowing that with the mere touch of a pre-programmed button I can bring harmony into our world, I'm a bit embarrassed and ashamed to be driving a dance club on wheels.  Spouse and I have always been on the outskirts of (and sometimes feeling superior to) the popular music scene. It humbles me every time to surrender to The Beat.

Is this a sign of things to come?  I have frightening visions of #3 wearing one of those awful, oversized trucker hats or #2 sporting a swirly tattoo.  

Trying to think positive here.  #3's got rhythm.  She can bounce with the best of them.  She is currently perfecting her signature move.  Arm raised high, fist pounding the air to the beat, (think Usher, "Yeah, Yeah").  I know, I know. She's only one.  But to have this much talent so early on... I might as well start shopping for one of those pantyhose caps, the ones with the little knot in the back.  I wonder if they make them in 24 months?

Possibly the worst thing about The Beat:  I try to resist.  I really do. But the power of The Beat is too strong, it sucks me in every time.  Thankfully #1 is more immune to the siren call and brings me back to reality, "Mom, stop dancing."

6 comments:

Jami said...

Oh the things we "sacrifice" for our kids :) Way to come over to the dark side.

Peterson Family said...

I can't stop laughing! That is hilarious! "Brings me back to reality... Mom stop dancing"... HAHAHAHA!! I KNOW that my kid has said the same thing, why is it so embarassing and he's only 4? :)

Can we come over and chill at your crib sometime? That would be fly.

Still laughing... :)

birdie said...

JL - don't worry, my kids will be wearing panty hose caps soon enough. They'll see mine and be jealous for sure.

I do believe those come in size 24 months, btw.

Sweating in the endless heat said...

So I checked out the station to see what I was missing out on, and I can see why the kids quiet down and that none of you can't stay still! Who doesn't like to listen to some beat and get down while driving. I will only start to worry if you get a lift on your car and new rims:)

Kasey said...

That's hilarious. Just give in. All you need are some glow sticks and maybe some leather pants (I'm not sure why but that would be awesome). I thought I'd add your link to my blog - it's easier to just click down my list to see what everybody is up to.

Cygnus said...

I have a 160GB ipod. On it, I have everything from Yanni and Enya to Tool and System of a Down. Girl 1's favorite song right now is "Hysteria," on Muse's Absolution CD (track 8, if you're really interested). Though for her and girl 2, it's actually called "I WANT IT NOW! GIMME YOUR SOUL!" It's absolutely hilarious to watch them sing it, both in slightly different keys so it becomes this cacophany of dissonance. It rattles the ear drums, but it's a blast to watch, too.

We've found that the most calming for our girls is stuff like Anael, Azam Ali (in all her various projects), Enya, Enigma ... anything that starts with a vowel (or sometimes vowel, like Yanni). Girl 1 will even request "quiet music" when we're in the car so she can sleep. It's pretty funny.