Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Viewer Discretion Advised: Rated PG for mild crude language

A couple weeks ago Spouse and I narrowly lost a game called Like Minds because we came up short thinking of alternative words for vomit. You may ask, how can that be?  Spouse is renowned for his use of slang and alternative vocabulary (thanks to a certain Nate Stokes - The King of hilarious termage). We covered the basics: puke, ralph, barf.  But we really missed out on some of the better known terms: up-chuck, toss-cookies, yak.  

I've got vomit on my mind.  On Friday #1 spoiled our trip to the pumpkin patch with an unexpected hurl.  Pumpkin patch trip cut short, we spent the remainder of the day, holding back hair and going from plastic bag, to bowl, to toilet.  It was short-lived and by the next morning all was well.

Forward to Monday night. I was just about to put my book down and turn off the light when Spouse carries in #2, crying and smelling like stomach tsunami.  From 10:30 pm - 3:30 am I dozed by #2's side, just waiting for the warning sounds of retching, coming approximately every 20 minutes. That's right. I cleaned that darn bowl 12 times.  Bad night.

Where is all this leading?  I hereby diagnose myself with olfactory fatigue.  All I can smell is spew. This happened once before to me. My sister, who had just accidently chewed a huge piece of raw garlic, blew her fresh, potent breath on my nose (she was like 17 - so don't judge).  It was so disgusting and the garlic smell was so strong, I couldn't smell anything but garlic for more than a day!  It was terrible! And you know how your sense of taste is totally connected to your sense of smell? Yes, I was tasting garlic cereal, garlic bananas, garlic everything!  It was a strange sensation and that is how I know I have olfactory fatigue again. It isn't quite as bad as the garlic, but yesterday everything I ate tasted a little like puke. 

I'm pretty sure everyone that reads my blog is a mom, except for you Kemery, and knows full well what I'm talking about. Or am I going crazy?


8 comments:

Peterson Family said...

That totally BLOWS CHUNKS! :)

Sorry to hear about all the vomiting. Hunter's typical flu pattern is approx. 14 pukes, Wes only beat him one time when the vomiting and Diarreah lasted for a FULL 7 DAYS! It was aweful. I hate all-nighters.

Open up your windows, spray some Fabreze, and then GET OUT of the house, i.e. on a little shopping excursion. Good luck, I hope everyone feels better soon.

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Oooh. I'm so sorry! Our most recent bout of up-chuck-a-rama happened at Disneyland. Luckily each time it happened she just leaned over the stroller and let it go. Its a beautiful thing when someone else cleans it up and I only felt a little bit quilty.

I hope that the fatique has passed and the bug hasn't been passed on to anyone else!

lisa said...

oh no! I would choose garlic over puke any day.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. You make me laugh.

Evelyn's hurl on the carpet on Friday led to a long-awaited-full-on carpet cleaning frenzy...rented the cleaner from home depot, strapped the baby to the front of me, and cleaned the whole house. Nothing like the mental satisfaction of knowing your carpets are REALLY clean.

MJ said...

I agree, rent a carpet cleaner. This actually might be a good time to pull out the garlic. At least it's a smell that is natural, not natural waste.

Good news is that it could be over for the year. Bad news is if it happens again.

Cara and Terry said...

That's funny...we or I should say, Terry was up half the night with our #2 on Saturday. Fun stuff. I awoke to the gagging sound in our doorway and he ran to and fro looking for a place to actually hurl, when he finally decided our room, in front of the bathroom door, on the carpet was best! Guess he couldn't make it another three feet to the toilet. Guess we'll be having the carpet cleaners out! Woo hoo. We didn't need that $100 anyway.

Jami said...

Oh seriously. Nothing worse than the pukes. My advice would be to screen any and all food that goes in anyone's mouth the next few days. May I suggest grilled cheese sandwiches or french toast. They seem to not be quite as bad as some coming back up. :) Happy Puking!

KJ said...

I got a shout out! Who-hoo!