Thursday, August 23, 2012

Backpacking

Nearly a month ago, Spouse took #1 and #2 on a backpacking trip with many members of my family.  It's a backpacking trip that has been a tradition in my family for my whole life; I blogged about it a few years ago, the last time we participated.  The location is in the Sawtooth Mountains about in the middle of Idaho.

The circumstances this year were much different than in years past.  There were no moms!  Well, almost.  My mom and my two sisters in law were able to go, but the rest of the girls in my family (5 of us) stayed back to watch the young children.  It was a Dad's trip and from what I understand, they all did great!

#1, #2 and Spouse hiked a total of around 14 miles in three days, carrying everything they needed on their backs.  They filtered water from the stream by which they camped and built fires from the wood they collected. 

That's a whistle in #2's mouth, not a pipe. 

#1 and #2 both caught many fish.  #1 threw all of her fish back into the water, but #2 decided to try one for lunch.  He said it wasn't bad.

That's #1 in the middle with her cousins.

#1 and #2 working on their walking sticks and yes, that is a skirt #1 is wearing.  She insisted.

Nothing wrong with a little stick fight, right?

#2 all geared up for the hike down the mountain.

Nana with #1 and a TX cousin

#2 is practicing his balancing skills.  On the hike you must cross a rushing stream, precariously balancing on a log high over the water.  It freaks me out every time but apparently my kids are much braver than I am!

All ready to head home for showers and a soft bed.


Spouse earned the Dad of the year award for doing this trip without me. It is a hard hike, and that's if you're only worried about yourself and not having to encourage two little ones up the mountain too.  And once you're camped, everything is a lot of work: preparing meals, getting water, brushing your teeth, even using the bathroom!  Spouse managed everything... and didn't lose the kids!  Well done Spouse!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Very well done spouse! I grew up backpacking. . . every single summer we would pack up and head out. We got to go the year we turned 8 years old. Then I met my dear husband who only vacations where a Hilton is involved!! I haven't been for so long and this makes me miss it!

When is that baby of yours due?

DKAZ said...

Wow! Way to go! So impressed that your kids did that...I have to admit pretty impressed that Spouse did too. What great memories.