Monday, August 13, 2012

More from Utah - my family reunion

Day one of my family reunion started at the lake where all my siblings from Kentucky, Texas, Wyoming and Utah converged for boating, picnicking and serious sand fort building.  Between my dad, Spouse and my brother Miguel, the boat always had a driver ready to take willing kids on thrilling tube rides.

#1 and #3 with awesome cousins from UT and TX 


One exciting moment of the day was when Buster came running out of the water screaming, hitting at the back of his swimsuit.  My sister reached him before I did, and by the time my pregnant body made it to him, the screaming had stopped but he was still trembling and frightened.  "A lobster bit me!"  Sure enough, scurrying away from him was a huge crawdad that apparently couldn't resist a nibble of his white bum cheeks.


When we were sufficiently sun-burned and tired of the beach we quickly showered and met at the park for dinner and our FAMILY DANCE.  You betcha!  Spouse took some really fun videos but unfortunately there was a big blue whale moving to the beat in at least a few frames which means you don't get to see the rest of my family getting down on the dance floor.  The dance was a hit! The kids loved letting loose and it was fun to see the adults break it down. 

These three totally rocked the dance floor!
#3 getting ready to boogie!

Buster busting a move
After the last song on the playlist my talented bro-in law Bra (his moniker, not mine!) brought out his guitar and treated us to his music.  Bra plays his own music which is acoustic and upbeat and my sister sings the harmony.  Their sound is unique and so enjoyable to listen to.

Bra wears red TOMS, so you know he's way more hip than the rest of  us

The next morning we got up bright and early and drove up Logan Canyon to Tony Grove lake where my mom had reserved a few camp sites. We didn't actually sleep over, but used the space for meals and activities.  My mom surprised the grandkids with these tie-died shirts, fun games where they could earn "power pebbles" and a store that she opened at the end of the day where the "power pebbles" could be turned in for prizes.  

Tony Grove is a beautiful area with tall pines and thousands of wild flowers. The lake is pristine and perfectly blue.  My parents rented a canoe in which the kids loved taking turns.  While on the lake they saw two bull moose wading in the shallow edge.  Buster caught a tiny fish, without a fishing pole. It was already dead, but that didn't reduce the excitement. He carried around that fish carcass for hours before I finally convinced him to throw it in the fire.



#1 and #3 getting ready for some wilderness games.  My nephew A is getting himself a snack for later.

Showing off their tie-dye
This is all of us!

#3 working on her bird house.

Buster and his rotting fish

 
Sweet Brother Brig taking his nieces out for a canoe ride.









There's just one more post to cover the rest of our vacation and you don't want to miss it! Spouse took #1 and #2 on a back packing trip, without me.  Did they survive? Stay tuned....

No comments: