Monday, August 6, 2012

More from UT




One afternoon my dad took my little family out to the local lake for some casual boating. Once on the lake we discovered that sometime last fall before my dad stored the boat for the winter a squirrel had made a home in the engine compartment and in several other hidden places.  There were thousands of pine cones stashed away! 

Pine cones or not, this is the summer my kids lost all inhibitions behind a boat, even #3.  They all took rip-roaring tubing rides, catching serious air and loving it!  A few weeks later #1 and #2 were determined to try to wake board.  They had varying levels of success but came away determined that next summer they are going to really learn the sport.


On another morning, my mom rounded up #1 and #2 for a four mile hike. She wanted to make sure they were ready for the backpacking trip planned for the end of the month.  More on that later.




Bear Lake Reunion

I think I've mentioned here before how my kids start looking forward to Bear Lake the day after Christmas.  #1 says it's her favorite place in the world.  Bear Lake is beautiful and is certainly a special place but I keep trying to figure out why, exactly, do my kids love it so much.  My ideas:

because the bathing and grooming standards are lowered?

because they eat more candy and junk here than they do at Halloween?

because they have more freedom to wander (and hide from mom!) than they normally do?

because they have a million cousins to play with all the time?

because it's the only time of year they have access to cable television?

because the pool has no lifeguard and there are virtually no rules?


Whatever their reasons, they love it and it makes me love our Bear Lake week because I know how happy they are there.





 
Buster on the beach



#3 and her sun kissed cheeks (and candy blue tongue!)

 
 # 3 trying to "teach" her little cousin how to hit a ball.  Funny thing, it should actually be the other way around with him teaching her how to hit.

 
 #1, my beach beauty



 
Spouse's parent's cabin is just 15-20 minutes away from Bear Lake.  We spent the last afternoon there and Spouse took the kids on thrill ride in this thing.




 
#2, #3 and #1 loving their Grandma


 
 and some of their cousins

 
 Spouse and his dad

 
miles of sloping sidewalk for #2 to work on his skateboarding

  
 #1 tying to throw a strike!


Midweek Spouse flew in from AZ to enjoy the rest of our time at Bear Lake and to be there for my family reunion the following week.  Life is always better when Spouse is around.  

Next up, my family reunion.  Prepare yourselves.


1 comment:

Erin A said...

Hooray for vacations and hooray for wonderful grandparents!!! My life really would be such a sadder place without them!