Monday, April 21, 2008

The Karma that came back to bite me on the neck

Yesterday I was victim to the bad karma I sent out into the universe 19 years ago when in an irrational 11 year old rage I did something awful.  My older sister is just 13 months older than me so for many years we shared everything: clothes, bedrooms, bed, bathroom and curling irons.  One morning we were both in the bathroom getting ready for school and we started bickering.  I have the image cemented in my mind of the two of us, fighting with each other through the reflections in the mirror, not actually even turning to look at each other.  Something was said that put my pre-pubescent hormones over the edge and without even thinking about it I took the hot curling iron and pressed it against my sister's neck.  I felt terrible immediately but because she was in so much pain I never really got to express my apology.

Fast forward 19 years to yesterday morning. Again in a bathroom. No fighting this time, except with the clock because we are racing to get to church on time.  I'm curling my hair and in my rush I clumsily burn my own neck.  EEEEEOUCH!  Unless you've burned a sensitive part of your body before there is no way to comprehend the concentrated burning that I felt.  And it burned for several hours afterwards.  Today it still feels tender and it looks like a big hot dog shaped hickey.  

I'm paying my penance, suffering the consequence, purging the universe of the bad karma I released years ago. Have you had any of your past sins come back to haunt you?

6 comments:

MJ said...

Hey I used to do that all the time when I was in high school, back when I curled my hair. I do remember everyone thinking they were hickies. In fact, I had myself convinced they were too.

DKAZ said...

OUCH! That doesn't sound fun. You really should tell M to lay off of the hot dog shaped hickies on your neck...doesn't feel good, doesn't look good.

Mindy said...

I'm laughing picturing you two fighting! Even funnier is that you burned her with the curling iron! She is probably so excited that you got your payback!
In answer to your question...of course I've never done anything that would ever come back to bite me!:) Actually...that is a scary thought, especially if we go way back to the days of fighting with siblings! If everything comes back to bite, I've got a lot of bad days ahead! :)

Jami said...

I am still dying over the part of you burning your sister ON PURPOSE!!!! You were a fiesty little sucker! When I was pregnant with Hallee I picked up a curling iron by the barrel that had been left on all night. I had blisters on EVERY single finger and my entire palm. It was horrible. I feel your pain in all five of my fingers as we speak. Sorry! Hope it gets better soon!

birdie said...

I've done that before, also and it definitely looks like a fried hot dog on the back of your neck.
so sorry.

Peterson Family said...

That totally stinks!! I burned my sister too... not a good memory either, she loves to tease me about it! :) Try putting some of that aloe vera for sunburns on it, I find that it helps when burn myself or my kids touch something hot.

Sure it's NOT a hickey?!