Monday, April 7, 2008

Domestic Goddess

Yesterday I heard an uplifting, interesting and inspiring talk in General Conference about young mothers. My first thought was, "Do I qualify?" Is there an age limit before you aren't considered to be a young mother anymore? Ok, whatever, I've got young ones so I kept listening. The talk was sympathizing to our struggles and yet challenging us to overcome our weaknesses. It was great and so I woke up today with every intention of making good on that counsel. However, by 8:30 am I was sweating profusely as I wrestled #2 into his time-out corner for picking my flowers (my poor struggling Arizona flowers!). I had a big day ahead of me I had little or no hope of being the sparkling, shiny mother I had planned on being. So I pulled out the big guns: my new sassy, skirty apron I've been saving for a special occasion, like looking cute in when we had people over for dinner. But if I didn't get through today, we may never have friends over again, let alone a house that I hadn't burned down.

I put the apron on, but it just didn't look right over my pajamas (not really pjs, just the clothes I spent most of yesterday's afternoon in), smeared mascara eyes and greasy hair. I needed to shower. This is pretty huge for me, seeing how it was before 9:00 am. By 9:30 I was dressed, de-greased and made up. This time the apron made me feel like a princess. Ok, it made me feel like a 50's house wife, but I did feel domestically superior wearing it.

Doing the dishes, sweeping the floor, wiping bums suddenly seemed like worthy tasks while I had my apron on. So it stayed on all morning, all afternoon and into the evening. The apron awakened my inner Stepford Wife, so I made bread and chocolate cake wearing lipstick. I felt more patient than usual. Now if I were to follow this through all the way I should have been wearing high heels, the apron (of course), and not much else when Spouse came home tonight. But since it's Monday, the kids are still up so we'll have to save the apron's homecoming debut for another night.

Thank you to my mother in law, for providing me with just the thing I needed today, a pretty apron.

10 comments:

Jami said...

WOW! I have GOT to get me one of those things. Who knew it would be that simple?

That talk struck a cord with me as well. How I actually heard it with the constant chaos is nothing short of a miracle.

Cygnus said...

Congrats on the super apron. It's like a reverse cape!

Hmm . . . so, I wonder if getting weef one of those for Mother's Day would send the wrong message. I'm not sure she'd "get it," since she never reads anyone's blog.

birdie said...

Love it!! I want to be a domestic goddess too. Will you ask your mother in law where she got that fashionable 50's #?

I, too, get the same feeling when I wear my "fancy" jeans. Perhaps that's why I wear them every single day.

Peterson Family said...

I too loved that talk... very inspiring. One comment that stuck out at me was "It is hard." Seems simple enough... but when you really think about it, that statement offers some serious recognition. Being a homemaker is not always Oprah and Bon Bon's (or ever). It is totally normal to find the staying-at-home-full-time-Mom thing challenging every once and a while (or at some point during the day, when I am cleaning up after a toddler) :). It's also worth it and I loved the advice/counsel to give ourselves a little more credit for all that we do. There is no other place I would rather be.

Go prance in that apron... you are an AWESOME mommy!! One of the best I have ever known.

Audrey said...

That's a cute photo. Your kitchen looks super cute too. You made bread and you made chocolate? Okay, are we talking you got some beans and crushed them and combined them with sugar, etc. 'cause if that's the case, you may have to get a cape and call yourself a super hero and not just a domestically superior mother.
Missed you on Saturday--maybe next time?

Mindy said...

You seriously crack me up! Look how cute you are in your sexy little apron! My mom has some aprons in her kitchen that I will definitely be tryout out tomorrow! I need all the help I can get!
Also, I just found out I'm your mom's new visiting teacher. How lucky am I? She is such an amazing lady.

MJ said...

You're funny. I feel like that whole conference lifted me up. I really needed to hear just about everything that was taught.

DKAZ said...

Alright...I liked conference, it didn't catapult me into Super-Mom status. Congrats on the showering before 9:00 am! I know the effort that takes with three. Cute pic too.

Katie said...

You are hilarious! Thanks for making me laugh!

Shawna said...

I can already tell I am going to love reading your posts. You have the best sense of humor and I love the way you write. I'm a big JLJ blog fan. Woo Hoo!
I love aprons too! In fact I am joining an apron swap...you should too. You don't have to be a seamstress. They're super easy to make. Let me know and I'll send you the info. It's amazing what a little apron can do to your day!