Monday, April 14, 2008

Weekend Update

Care For Life 5K - 7:30 am Saturday. It was a beautiful, sunny, cool morning. I ran my guts out, almost literally, and improved my previous race time by 1:50. I placed 2nd in my age group. Note: the friend that ran the race with me beat me by 10 seconds and placed 4th in her age group. I guess there are a few advantages to being 30.


There was a "kids dash" that #1 and #2 ran in. They were so excited to line up. #1 was a good little mother, holding #2's hand. My kids were exactly in last place and 2nd to last place. Nevertheless, they each got a ribbon and felt like winners. See this post to understand how important winning is to #1.


Typically at races like this every runner gets a little gift bag with promotional things in it like chapstick, sunscreen, coupons, energy bars etc. It's nice to feel like you get something for your $25 registration fee. Well, at this race instead of handing out gift bags they issued you a raffle ticket. At the end of the race they raffled off gift baskets, gift certificates and even two ipods. I never win anything, but the odds were good for this raffle and I did end up winning a gift certificate to Safeway.

After the race activities died down, we flew our kite for a while. There was the perfect amount of wind and a huge grassy field, so we were able to get it up pretty high and keep it there for a while. I say "we" but it's really Spouse. He is like the kite whisperer. If you haven't tried to fly a kite since you were 12, go try it and you'll find that it is tricky business.


We made a quick trip to Safeway, using my newly won gift card and bought ourselves a picnic lunch, which we brought back to the park. Except for #2 walking dangerously close to the lake's edge, we relaxed , fed the ducks and got sun-burned.

Perhaps what made this morning most enjoyable was knowing that it was most likely our last beautiful, bearable one until next October/November. Good Bye 80's, hello 100's!

8 comments:

daisy said...

Sounds like a perfect day.
And flying a kite is tricky. I don't remember it being that way when I was a kid. Maybe it's because the parents do all the work....to get them to work.

Cygnus said...

I don't pretend to be an Arizona weather expert, but isn't it between May and October where the Phoenix night life takes off? Maybe you could go on a midnight picnic. :)

Just kidding. The kids would never go for it. Though it's something to consider for a date with you and spouse.

Peterson Family said...

The founder of Care for Life is in my ward, Cindy Packard. She's an amazing lady. That's an excellent cause to run for.

Your kids are cute, my boys would love racing too!! :) Good for you for getting them involved.

I am sad for the 100's on their way... I'm so sad, I really love the winter here.

Jami said...

Sounds like an absolutely perfect day! Glad you all had fun and congrats on the race.

MJ said...

Hey you wore a different outfit. This must be the other one of the two you own. And see, being 30 has its perks. I always look at the older marathon bracket and think "I bet I could do better in that." Our weather is just starting to get perfect. I'm so excited that we made it past the snowy, yucky, ugly weather.

birdie said...

way to go JLJ - you are my running inspiration! One of these days I'll get off my keister and run. Until then, bring on the soaps and bon bons.

Mindy said...

You rock Jen! Way to go on your race! I keep thinking one day I'll get up the motivation to do some kind of race. But for now, I'll just eat another piece of chocolate and sit here at the computer.
What a beautiful, fun day. I have to say, I don't envy your heat wave coming up. I am not fun to be around when it's hot- heat and sweaty pits put me in the worst mood. Hang in there this summer!

Katie said...

Looks like a fabulous day! Congratulations on the race - you are awesome!