Sunday, April 27, 2008

smelly cat

Buying ice-cream from the ice-cream truck is like feeding a stray cat.  They keep coming back.  It really isn't an ice-cream truck. It's an old van with stickers all over it and a set of speakers rigged to the top that plays a carousel-like song.  How can anyone want to buy something to eat from something that looks so dirty?  

In the three years we've lived in this house, that van has been driving down our street from time to time but I've never allowed my kids (despite #1's begging) to buy whatever it is he's selling.  All that changed a couple weeks ago, when Spouse was home one afternoon looking after the kids. When I got home the first thing #1 tells me is, "Daddy let us buy ice cream from the ice cream truck!"  

When I was 12 my brother and I fed a stray cat, contrary to my mother's wishes.  The cat kept coming back, so we kept filling his bowl with milk.  A few weeks later we discovered it wasn't a he, but a she. Not just a she, but a she with 12 kittens that needed to be fed!  We could no longer hide our deviance from my mother, who ordered us to close down the cat soup kitchen.  But the darn cats wouldn't go away. They hung around and hung around.  Their patience ran out and then the meowing and whining started. For days we could hear them outside our door, begging for food. It was pitiful but my brother and I had learned our lesson.  Animal control came and set up a humane trap and in 24 hours the cats were gone.  

Well, that darn ice cream truck keeps hanging around and hanging around.  It drives past our house every day, multiple times.  And today it parked itself right next to our house and just sat there, with the music churning for 10 minutes.  It's almost like he's trying to smoke us out of the house; to buy his ice cream just to get him to leave.  But his persistence is making me even more certain that we will never feed that stray cat again.  Too bad there is no ice-cream truck control to remove this unwanted pest.  

9 comments:

MegaPPod said...

Maybe you can sneak a smelly cat onto his truck.

Jami said...

Oh shoot. It's sad that a fun little "treat" for the kids has now turned into an ice cream stalker! Maybe you need to have a nice little chat with the ice cream man and let him know your not interested.

Peterson Family said...

How annoying! I can't believe that he sat outside your house?! Definitely don't go out there again... I can't believe that. Good luck!

Katie said...

Spouses always do that to us! Little do they know that something they do one time will become an everyday request to our kids, or in your case, the crazy ice cream truck driver!

Cygnus said...

so . . . is there no one else at all that buys his ice cream? i mean . . . if he's just parked *right* in front of your house, wouldn't his time be better spent soliciting business elsewhere? wow. yah, i'd call the cops and say "hey, umm . . . ice cream guy is sitting right outside my house every day, and it's creeping us out." yah, the neighbors might get upset, but from the sound of it, they're not buying ice cream from him anyway, so big deal.

:)

DKAZ said...

I always told Q it was a music truck and she believed that for a long time. I'm not really sure what tipped her off. At least it wasn't her father. Poor spouse for just trying to make an afternoon go by a little faster and more fun by buying some nasty, overly-priced icecream from a sketchy character in a truck that smells like cat and sounds like it's on it's last leg.

PS-don't you love sitemeter?

Erin A said...

So I'm pretty sure we have bought things from the same ice-cream van. Only my kids, instead of ice cream, bought THE most disgusting Mexican candy ever--something like Tamarind chews and persimmons flavored powder! I can only guess that it was so bad that they couldn't sell it down there and someone got it for free and thought they could make some money selling it here. Well to make a long story short, no matter how many times that van came back not once did my children ever ask to buy another thing. And thankfully that same sentiment has carried over to where we live now. Next time Spouse is home, you might mention to him that the tamarind chews are really quite excellent!

birdie said...

Oh so sorry for the stalker ice cream man. Why would we want to buy a $10 ice cream bar from your stinky van? Come on buddy!

happy mom said...

all I see is Pedophile when I see those vans.

Hey sorry I didn't catch up with you all at Womens Conference.